Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Arguing over petty things was not high on his tolerance bar but why his brother couldn’t seem to understand what Ashton was spelling out for him was beyond his knowledge.

“No, Just no. If you put that symbol there it will mess up the entire flow of magic for the incantation.” He said as he pointed to the symbol painted on the ground.

It was a common occurrence to see the two princes arguing over something or another, it had been this way since Ashton could remember. As the youngest of the royal siblings, the oldest often discredited anything he said on the subject of alchemy. Ashton huffed, running his inked smeared hands through his hair leaving black streaks in the pale white hair. He was a young prodigy in alchemy. Blessed with the ability to understand complicated concepts at a very young age, yet he never showed off his skills. He preferred to keep himself under the radar as much as possible.

“Dear brother, if anyone knows best it would be me –”

“Just because you were born a year before me Wryeton, doesn’t mean you know better than me,” Ashton deadpanned. He placed his hands on his hips and gave looked at his brother with a bored expression. “ If I wanted, I could out show you anytime, anywhere. Just ‘cause you got your inheritance before I do means nothing and you know it.”

“Who has more experience here, Ashton? Hm? Honestly, I have studied alchemy for far longer than you have. You couldn’t begin to comprehend some of the complex spells that I have mastered. I can produce a jewel from a rose with simply an ethereal symbol? I think not.  When that happens please lecture me all you want.” Wryeton jabbed him in the forehead.  Ashton swatted at him but Wryeton pulled back before he could get a hard slap. He chuckled and turned back to the symbols strung across the floor. “As much as your input is appreciated, I think you should leave it to the more experienced, yeah?” Rolling his eyes Ashton turned on his heel with no rebuttal. If his brother wanted to screw up his project than let him, it’s not like he was the one with work to do.

He walked to a spacious room filled with books and paper with wide open space in the center. This room, formally for storage, became his private study. On the desk in the corner papers were spread about with notes and drawings of transmutation circles. Picking up one he looked it over for any calculations that needed to be done for his Coming of Age ceremony.  It would be his first official time performing alchemy and he would do so in front of a crowd. As he examined his notes the door to his study slammed open , making him jump.

“Ashton!” A  shrill voice bellowed from the doorway. He cringed.

“Esmeralda, fancy that you are here.” He  mused as he turned to face her giving her his attention;  he learned the hard way what not giving Esmeralda his full attention would result in.

“Don’t Esmeralda me! Do you have any idea what time it is? We don’t have time for you to be playing with your pet projects,” Ashton made a squawk in protest but she continued on, “You need to be getting ready for your inheritance party!” “Yes, I am quite aware of the fact, but the celebration doesn’t start until later tonight.”

Esmeralda walked over and grabbed his arm yanking it none too gently.

“Yes it is later tonight but given—” she motioned towards all of him, giving him a look of disapproval. Aston looked down at his clothing. They were splattered with ink and wrinkled making him look disheveled, much less like the prince he was supposed to be.

“Nothing that a quick bath won’t fix.  Celebration starts late evening and it is early afternoon.”

For all the traditions that he has to participate in this celebration was his least favorite. He felt as if he was going to be the people’s entertainment for the night. The Coming of Age Ceremony was something that all of his siblings went through. But gaining ones inheritance was something special. Even though inheritances were not always something people would appreciate.