Chapter 3

Chapter 3

In a dark dank cell a figure was not aware of these happenings, being so far removed from the world. He couldn't even tell you what day it was.  As Ashton huddled in the corner, his appearance was like any other prisoner, his white hair was more like a brownish grey color due to his living conditions. His skin was smeared with muck and his body was thin. Bandages that were splotched with blood covered his wrist, ankles, and chest. His breathing was even and slow as he lightly slept but he soon jolted awake. Ashton looked around, his body tense as if he heard something but after a minute nothing happened and he relaxed with a small sigh. His body ached after his captor’s last visit, and there was nothing in the cell to tell the time. Ashton used the change in guards to help gage it for himself. Not that it was much help but because it was something he needed to know in order for his plan to work. It was not often that the ‘Doctor’, or whoever that depraved man was, would forget to give him drugs to keep Ashton unaware of what was going on and what his surroundings looked like. He only had small moments of lucidness and he was not one to lose the opportunity to escape like any other prisoner who was kept from freedom.

Ashton stood up and wobbled to the other side of the room where he had stashed a piece of chalk from the last time he was taken out of the dungeons for experimentation. Removing a rock from the wall, he stuck his hand inside to grab the piece of chalk. Moving back to the middle of the room crouching down, he thought of the pentagram that he was going to draw for his escape. Before he could even start the drawing he heard the door of the dungeon opening, signaling that someone was on their way down. In a rush he stuffed the stolen piece of chalk back in its hiding place and jammed the stone back in the wall.

He did so just in time for the door to open to his cell.  Ashton hunched his shoulders looking over at the guard. He could see the tiny glint of the cuffs  the other man was holding. Ashton sighed. It was the same routine when they came to come get him. It never got old. Not wanting to agitate the guard, who would only gift him with new bruises, he stood and shuffled over with his hands held out in front of him so they could be cuffed. They were set in place with a small chink, weighing his arms down more as the young prince had lost most of his strength. Pulling on the chain, the guard led him out of the cell.

This was almost routine. There had been plenty of times where he was led out to be examined by not only the doctor, but Bloodwood and his lackeys, associates, or whatever they were, also. For most parts he was not quite sober during their debates but Ashton knew it was about him and the bloody gems in his body. As he attempted to thinking more deeply about his situation he was yanked forward.

“Hurry up.” The guard gruffly said as he kept walking forward. Ashton yanked his arms back as just to annoy the man. Even if he couldn’t put up much of a fight, he wouldn’t just let them do as they pleased. He kept pulling on his chains, trying to impede the guards progress. After a few more steps, the guard became frustrated and with a forceful yank made him lose his balance. With a grunt Ashton fell to the ground. Before he could even attempt to pick himself up, the guard started to walk briskly, dragging the prince along. At least the floors were polished Ashton mused but it stilled irritated him. He was so weak in this situation.  

Finally the guard ceased dragging Ashton along but by then he was in a lavish study. Well if you could call this room an actual study. It was nothing like a normal one, instead it was like a big potions room with all the crap they had in there stored in vials of various sizes. Some of the things found on the shelves he knew shouldn’t be there. The guard hooked him up to metal loops that were bolted to the floor. They kept Ashton on the floor with his arms on either side of him.      

“I see you decided to join us, Prince Ashton.” A familiar, smug voice said.

“Go rot in hell Bloodwood.” This earned him a hard kick to the face from the guard.