Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

(December 31, 2011)

Evening

Lucca's Point of View

"Today's the day, my love!" I say cheerfully as I twirl around the room with Matthew in my arms. He squeals with joy and laughs as I gently plop him onto the bed for his landing. As incredibly excited as I was to leave, truthfully, I'm an anxious mess. I'm just doing my best to be brave and charge ahead to this new life.

My uncle and his family left a few hours ago for some New Years Eve party in Los Feliz or Beverly Hills or whatever. It doesn't matter to me.

About a half hour after they left, I snuck out of my room (unfortunately, through the window again) and went down to my uncle's office. I went through everything, and took anything that had to do with me or my son's. I ended up with a diary, a couple photo albums, and our legal documents. Slowly, but surely as I was finding things that belonged to me, I was starting to feel braver. I could feel the grip my uncle had on me loosen. My need to be free from this 'family' overpowered my fear.

After I finished collecting all my things from his office, I ran upstairs and began to pack my clothes, Matthew's clothes, and my stuff I got from my uncle's office. I was done packing within 20 minutes. Matthew was just napping in the meantime, while PBS Kids was playing in the background.

I sigh in relief as I sit on the bed, my back aching from stress. I whine from inconvenience as I hear my phone ring from the other side of my room on my dresser. Nonetheless, I get up and look at it.

Nathan: How's it going? :)

Pretty much finished getting everything together. :Me

Nathan: I'm so excited for you

Nathan: I can't imagine how you feel tho

It sounds so stupid, but I feel like I'm dreaming. I've pinched myself here and there while packing just to make sure I don't wake up all of a sudden. :Me

I smile at how sweet he is. It was nice how he would wait after work for me, happy to spend time just talking or having late night In-N-Out while watching stuff on his phone. I couldn't believe I went from someone who was anxious to be around him to someone who can be pretty relaxed around him and safe...

It's an unfamiliar feeling... security and safety. I don't ever want a life without having these two things again. Living at my uncle's home all these years was just unknowing misery; walking on a tightrope without knowing if there was a safety net below.

My phone vibrates, interrupting my thoughts.

Nathan: This is reality. Once we get the chance, let's celebrate your birthday. I have a few ideas I've been dreaming up that I hope to make reality too

I flush pink. Since we've been hanging out more, we've been kind of flirting here or there. Neither of us have really made a move, but we haven't brought up that kiss since back in May. I don't know how else to bring it up, but maybe we'll get there after today.

My phone starts ringing and Jenny's name pops up on the screen.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hi! I'm at least 15 minutes away, try to be ready by the door. You have a car seat for Matthew right?"