1

Penelope felt like she could breathe for the first time in months. Her ex, Scott had up and left; moved to America. He had asked for her to go with him, but he knew she wouldn't and that she couldn't. She loved him, more than she ever imagined but moving to America was too much of a big deal for her, she had promised him if they did long distance she would visit, she would spend the christmas with him, but he said it was either all or nothing - she couldn't blame him. He was in the RAF, it came with the territory. He was funny and witty, charming and cheeky. He was glorious in bed and had beautiful eyes. She just couldn't leave her life to be a RAF girlfriend, living on a base, changing the way she lived. She liked their life in London, during the week they'd work then when he had leave he'd be in her apartment until he had to go back to work. 

The year had flown by with them doing the routine that she hadn't even thought about the fact that he was going to move to america eventually - he had told her from the minute they started dating that that was his plan, she had kind of hoped he'd forget about it or make it go away. 

But it didn't.

The day he flew out she felt hollow in her chest all day, checking when he landed that he was okay.

"You know, you can just come out here." He'd sent in a voice note. She'd kept all their messages and voice notes. 

Four months later, she'd started to feel the shift. The change in herself that although she was sad he'd moved away, she had to move on and look forward to the future. 

"Pen, what are you up to tonight? Don't answer that because I'm going to tell you, you're coming with me to see Harry Styles!" Ada was so excited she was shaking.

"Hold on, one minute.. what?" Penelope put her pen down trying to process what her best friend was saying.

"So Felicity has been given these amazing tickets at work which are practically by the stage, she's got three spare so she's invited Charlotte, me and said to invite you too!" Penelope rolled her eyes. It wasn't that she didn't like Ada's friends Felicity and Charlotte.. they just weren't her people. She would hang out with them if Ada invited them round for drinks or dinner, she'd go to their birthday things but she'd never consider them close friends. They were Ada's university friends that she for whatever reason has always stayed in touch with. Ada had been Penelope's friend since they were both nine. Penelope had many friends from school, university and work but Ada was what she felt was her soul sister. 

"Oh, well that is.. amazing," Penelope didn't really know what to say. 

"Come on, Penny! Harry Styles! I know we're not eighteen anymore but still, who wouldn't want to see him?!" 

Penelope smiled at her friends excitement. "I know just a bit shocked, I wasn't expecting this at all."

"And..  I haven't even told you the best part of it yet." 

Penelope smiled as Matthew handed her another coffee cup, it was her local bistro which she called into often with her laptop and notebook when she needed to get out of the office. "Go on.."

"As it's his last show on tour and it's London he's having a huge after party which we all have our names down for."

Penelope was shocked. "What?! How?!"

"Her work," Ada sang merrily.

Felicity worked for a record label - Penelope wasn't sure which, she just knew she got access to things and is doing well for herself. 

"Well, I'll text her to say thank as that's so nice of her."

"You're definitely coming?"

"Yes, I wouldn't pass on this I'm not that stupid." She laughed.

"I'll fetch you at five, then we can get ready together and have a wine, how does that sound?"

Penelope smiled checking the time; 13:16. "Perfect, see you then."