Chapter 45

Me, she was afraid of me.

               This was a fear I'd never seen throughout her various simulations; it was completely new and alarming. The knowledge that I appeared as a threat in her mind brought on a pain worse than anything I'd ever experienced. Maybe at one point I'd wished she'd have been more wary of me, but not if the direct reason was because she actually feared for her life. Swallowing loudly, I suddenly wished more than anything that I could simply disappear, that I could switch places with someone else, that I could not be me.

               It was with great surprise, however, that I noticed that the other Sage hadn't made a move towards Ally. Instead, he gazed at her with spellbound eyes, completely captivated; as if nothing else in the world mattered or even existed. Even standing still, his posture, demeanor, his every little move, was filled with undiluted longing. When I turned to look at her reaction, I didn't see a look of horror, but one of...

               What is that expression?

                When it apparently became too much to handle, I watched as the other Sage slowly began to advance towards her; not predatorily, but with caution, as if he were afraid she'd bolt at any minute. Then as he raised a hand –to touch her, strike her? – I bristled, ironically enough, with jealously.

               Not two seconds had passed when I'd already rushed over and planted myself in his path. If need be, I'd protect Ally from myself.

                Confusion and frustration flickered over his features, but then almost immediately were replaced by ire and... protectiveness? Odd, as I stood with my hands clenched, I felt just those same emotions. I braced myself, ready to do anything to prevent him from further frightening her, when I suddenly felt something warm graze along my arm.

                Fingers interlaced with my own; Ally was slowly trying to tug me so that I'd turn around and face her. I resisted. It was only when the image of the other Sage waivered that I allowed myself a quick glance. What I saw though, made me do a double take. If I'd thought simulation-Sage had appeared mesmerized, that was nothing compared to what Ally's eyes were screaming; she was transfixed, not with him, but with me.

                No fear, just anticipation.

               Absently, I realized that the other Sage had completely faded away, though the simulation was still clearly running. To get out, she had to either lower her heart rate, or face her fear; me, or whatever it was that I represented.

               A spark of hope sprang to life in my chest as I tried to wrap my head around what was going on. Was I kidding myself to think that this simulation had nothing to do with a danger I embodied, rather what her heart wanted but simultaneously refused to accept? Could it be that I wasn't the only one who'd been fighting their feelings this entire time? Come to think of it, she hadn't run from either of us.

               You're grasping. I mentally scolded myself. Trying to see what's not really there.

               "You're afraid of me," I stated with shame. "That's only logical I suppose. I'm sure you've heard a lot, seen even more. I'm not about to deny any–"

               "I'm not scared of you," Ally said firmly, shaking her head as she spoke, not an ounce of deception in her words.

               "Then?" I asked softly, tilting my head as I awaited her response. "I mean, the simulation hasn't ended."

               "Then," she repeated cryptically. "I better calm down, or just get over this fear."

               "Which is?" I began to ask before I realized that she had purposefully drawn herself closer, standing on her tiptoes.