Chapter 34

“Super ninjas, dun-da-dun,” came a quiet murmuring behind me. “Sneakin’ through the city, ba-doo-ba-doo–”

                “Dan, I’m serious,” I whispered, casting a look over my shoulder. Though the streets were dark, and there weren’t any people in sight, I didn’t want to add to the risk we were taking. “Stop singing, someone could hear you.”

                “But it adds to the ambiance,” Dan protested. I paused in my tracks, then turned and gave him a pointed look. “Okay, okay, I’ll stop. But when you realize just how much you miss my beautiful vocals, I’ll expect a lavish apology before I utter another peep.”

                I couldn’t help it, even with everything that loomed before me –this new challenge that could very well uncover the secret behind Banks– I had to stifle a laugh. Though what we were doing was risky, Dan had a way of making everything he did seem easy.

                After we’d returned from our dare-devil stunt, our group had spent the rest of the day goofing off on the upper grounds of the dauntless compound; just getting to know each other better. Then when it had grown darker, we’d returned inside where we’d started a vigorous game of pool. It had been nice to relax and spend time with everyone, but at the back of my mind I’d been ever alert; ready to leave as soon as it was dark enough that most of the city’s citizens would been asleep.

               Dan and I had eventually split from the group and devised a plan of attack. Though I wasn’t certain I’d obtain any answers from what I planned to do, it was a start. The idea had actually come from a memory that had flashed through my mind as we’d driven back to the compound.

               I recalled, last year when I’d first ever laid eyes on Banks, that I’d asked Carla about him. Even then, knowing as little as I did, I’d had the feeling that he was a dangerous person who had to be watched closely.

               Carla hadn’t known anything, all she’d been able to say was; Today at the Choosing Ceremony was the first time I ever saw him. Then after some thought, she’d added; It’s mostly gossip, totally unfounded, but word around erudite was that there were special students who were so intellectually gifted that they were taught all their school subjects at erudite headquarters rather than have to go to public school.

               Erudite headquarters, that had been my original target. What I’d wanted to do -as I’d told Dan in hushed tones while everyone was distracted with the pool game- was sneak into their building and look through their files to see if we could find any sort of information about Banks.

               Dan had agreed, but then paused and come up with an even better plan.

               “Sage, while I’d love to go storming into erudite headquarters, guns a blazin’–”

               “Who said anything about guns? It’s supposed to be a secret mission.”

                “Oh hush, can’t you see I’m setting the scene? Anywho– though I’m all up for breaking and entering, I feel that there might be an easier way to get information. Dude, think about it, how does the government keep track of all of its citizens and the factions they choose?”

                “The Civil Registry,” I’d answered; my brain immediately in sync with his own. “They keep all the records of vital events and occurrences there.”

                “Right!” Dan had exclaimed as he gave me a devious grin. “Less security to get through, and it’ll give us a starting point.”