Chapter 1

When would people learn to be on time?

Kia thought bleakly, gulping her second glass of wine. The wine was of a cheap sort, but it got you drunk soon, and therefore she required the company of her able friends sooner than later.

She looked around the worn down pub she and her friends often frequented during school. Its ambience had come down several notches since then, but the chef, and consequently the food, still remained good.

It was also cheap, so that helped its case too. It seemed like inflation was lost on the owners.

She was already waiting for twenty minutes, when her best friend, Caleen, finally appeared, looking appropriately sheepish. Kia couldn't recall a single episode when Caleen was present before her.

"Look at that, I'm just seven minutes late." Caleen said as a way of apology.

Kia snorted at that, but got up to give her a hug. Caleen was a hugger.

"Well, I've certainly not been missed." Caleen said, eying the open wine bottle.

"It was the closest thing I had to you." Kia told Caleen, who was already drinking from her glass.

"I'm like cheap white wine?" Caleen asked with an amused look on her face.

Kia narrowed her eyes at Caleen's uncharacteristic sportiness. Her first explanation was mind-blowing sex, but it was still early for that. Or maybe an uncharacteristically exciting day at her rather boring job.

"It is floral." She eventually said.

"The receptionist was suspended today. I hated him." Caleen informed her happily.

"Good for you." Kia joined in her friend's happiness.

"Oh, it's more than good for me, Kia." Caleen said as she sat leisurely. "He always refused to cooperate with me, or do anything I asked him properly just because I am a "young blondie". His words."

This sort of casual sexism was one reason Kia didn't like the corporate world. She was now more happy for her friend, knowing that she got rid of at least one such person.

"Congratulations again. Now, where is Devon? Tell me he didn't forget about today." Kia glared at her friend as she asked it.

Devon was Caleen's brother, and he was closest to a male best friend for Kia. They were meeting after quite sometime today, and she really wanted to guilt Devon into paying for the night. She called the waiter and ordered a lobster frittata, a BLT, and two plates of curly fries.

"He's directly coming from work. Give him some time." Caleen replied nonchalantly, as she filled her second glass. "Man, this stuff is really floral."

"Don't overindulge." Kia warned, yet continued to drink from her own glass. She could count on her good sense to not have a hangover the next day. Or maybe her good capacity to consume wine.

She perked up when she saw Devon coming inside the pub. With his blazer and tie, he looked far too sophisticated for a dingy place like that.

"I don't think you understand the term punctuality." Kia said with all the righteous indignation.

"Yes Dev, do you understand it?" Caleen crossed her arms and glared at him, but it looked like she was teasing Kia more than reprimanding Devon.

"Long day at work." He said it with all conviction, but a smile was plastered on his face.

Both the Collinwood siblings looked too happy for their own good.

Kia glared at him again, and his smile finally dropped.