Chapter 2

Kia sneezed as the cold wind brushed her bare hands.

She didn't want to be sick now. She never wanted to be sick, but at the moment, she wished that any potential malady would wait for a few more hours.

Devon would come to pick up for his event in half an hour, and she was almost ready.

She wore a long dark green skirt, with a sleeveless black velvet top. It looked formal enough, and she hoped, not overdressed. She just had to do makeup.

It amazed her how much she liked doing it when there was enough time to do it properly. Therefore she didn't do it daily, because then she was just unhappy with everything, and ended up washing her face before going out.

She applied lip gloss at the end, and she was ready to roll.

Devon surprised her by ringing the doorbell five minutes before seven, and she looked a last time in the mirror before opening the door.

"Look who is early." She said and checked out Devon. He looked sleek in the suit like she expected, and amazingly, he wore a light, mint green shirt and dark, very dark green tie.

"Look who dolled up." Devon said and she met his eye with delight.

"We need to click a picture. We're twinning without even trying." She beckoned his phone and clicked a few selfies with him. She immediately sent one photo to Caleen as well.

"Shall we go now?" She asked after putting on her heels.

"Let me pee first. Don't want to go there with my bladder strained." He said and walked towards her washroom.

"Let me go first then." She walked next to him. "I don't really trust your aim much."

He mumbled something like "you don't know what you're talking about", but stayed put.

After finishing their respective businesses, they left for his office.

Kia had never been there before, but the skyscraper didn't surprise her. The event was held on the eighteenth floor, a big, presumably, open terrace.

"What exactly is this event for?"She asked before stepping inside.

"It is an annual event, for different departments and branches to mingle." He explained. "Like a fancy, black tie summer camp."

Kia would have snorted at his explanation, but she just nodded absently as she was preoccupied with observing the place. 

The event planner had done a good job with the luminescent vibe, and classic black and white decoration. There were already people present, but it didn't look crowded.

She put her hand on Devon's arm as they moved further in. Devon smiled at a few people, but didn't stop to greet anyone. They finally stopped at an unoccupied roundtable.

"Don't look directly, but towards your left, is Lucia." Devon said quietly.

Kia turned, but there was no one close by. She then followed Devon's line of sight and saw a woman in a purple dress. She was standing with two other women, but Devon's previous description of her made it possible for her to recognize her.

Her dark and curly hair was pulled up into an elegant bun, and even from a distance she could appreciate the way a few strands framed her face.

She looked back at Devon and the awestruck guy was still staring.

She nudged him. "Stop staring, and go talk to her already."

"I need to greet my boss first." He answered, only partially attentive.