Chapter 4

Aelin bathed and was in clean clothes in a few moments as she hurried down the stairs to meet the High Lord of the Day Court, Rhys had mentioned. He’d said he’d found something. It may be her way back but she didn’t dare let her hopes up. Not if it might be a dead end.

She reached the common room and opened the door to reveal Rhys and the general with a dark haired beautiful male.

He spotted her and Helion moved to meet Aelin halfway through the room, “You must be the otherworldly queen.” He said as he took in every inch of her. “Allow me to introduce myself, I’m Helion, High Lord of the Day Court.” He added as he bowed his head and smiled at Aelin.

She did not acknowledge the teasing tone in his words but smiled broadly enough to show her canines and let some of her fire dance in her eyes. She could’ve sworn the wickedly smiling High Lord flinched a bit at the sight of her power.

“Trust me Helion, you don’t want to mess with her.” Rhys said with his back to them and Cassian nodded his agreement.

Helion sighed a sigh of deafeat and wiped all flirting from his face, "I never understood what it was with the Night Court Ladies that never had them falling for my charm."

That had Aelin smiling at him before she asked, “Did you find something?”

Helion clasped his hands behind his back as he began moving slowly back and forth through the room, “I found a book that had the spells to open a portal between two worlds,” Aelin crossed her arms and focused, “but I need something that came from this world so that I can know where the other end of the portal should lead to.”

Aelin nodded and thought a bit before she unstrapped Goldryn from her hip and extended the ancient sword to him, “This is my sword, it was made in my world. It’s the only think that fell with me here.”

He studied the blade in his hands and turned it over, “We’ll do it tomorrow. I need to rally all of my magic,” he frowned at Aelin and handed the sword back, “it’s a really complicated spell.”

Aelin was about to answer when screams exploded outside. Rhys and Helion instantly disappeared and Cassian was out of the house a heartbeat later, Aelin on his heel.

Velaris was in chaos, people were running and yelling to everyone to go find shelter and some were pointing towards the Sidra. Cassian looked then and saw the rows of the last surviving Hybern soldiers getting off large ships they'd used to get here, all types of creatures and High Fae, as they landed one after the other in the city.

“We don’t have time to go to Windhaven and get the Illyrians,” Rhys said to Cassian as he sent blow after blow of his magic, turning the closest soldiers to dust, “we’re going to have to do this the old-fashioned way.”

Cassian shot into the skies, his seven siphons glowing as he started ripping into the soldiers. Azriel appeared next to him a second later and sent a blast of his power to the sky that exploded all around Velaris and formed a solid, blue shield.

“I can help.” Aelin said, eyes wide as she approached the two High Lords.

Rhysand merely nodded and said to Helion, “You stay here and protect Feyre.” He clasped his friend on the shoulder.

“With my life, Rhys.” Helion smiled softly just as Rhys disappeared and reappeared beside his brothers in the sky, all three of there wings flapping none stop. Together they fought, back to back and heart to heart. Where one missed the other covered, where one tired the other roared.

Aelin reached into the deep well within her and blasted through the soldiers that were coming for her, none of them stood a chance against her. But there were too many of them and Amren and Mor were out of the city, it was only her and the two Illyrians and High Lords.