Chapter 7

He hadn’t meant to pry, but there wasn’t a single noise in this house Rhys couldn’t hear thanks to the wards and his hearing; he’d heard all of Aelin and Rowan’s conversation.

He’d heard everything and had been more than happy for them to be finally reunited, but turns out, time worked differently in other worlds.

Rhys, Cassian, Azriel, and Feyre were all sat in the common room. The two Illyrians had come immediately after Rhys’d told them about Aelin’s mate being here, not wanting to leave their High Lord and Lady alone with the newcomer, they didn’t know what to expect from him yet.

“How was your first meeting with him?” Cassian asked Rhys from his seat.

“Bad,” he said even as he smiled a bit, “he would’ve destroyed anything in his way to get to her, including me, and I don’t think I would’ve been able to stop him.”

Feyre said then, “She’s his mate, she’s been taken away from him. Of course he’d be this mad.”

The door opened then, and all the inner circle jumped in surprise, even Azriel; they hadn’t heard footsteps coming close.

Aelin entered the room followed by her mate barely a foot away from her, his arm around her shoulders, a way to mark his territory, and the air seemed to shift as these two people, with a power so deep it knew no end, stepped further inside.

All three Illyrians bowed to the waist, their heads towards Aelin, even Feyre inclined her head slightly, he swollen belly making it harder to do more than that.

Rhys spoke first, “You have my eternal gratitude, Aelin. My people, my city and I owe you our lives and I would be more than happy to pay that debt in any way possible.”

Azriel then added, “I owe you personal thanks for saving my life on the battlefield. I owe you my life.”

Aelin straightened her back and smiled at the new friends she’d made, then looked at Rowan and fluttered he lashes, earning an eye roll from him with a small smile and spoke, “You brought me my mate,” she looked back at them with the same smile, “I guess that makes us even.”

They all nodded but the general was staring at Rowan, sizing him up. Rowan held his gaze all the time till Rhys cleared his throat and Cassian looked away, Rowan smirked.

“Are you feeling better?” Rhys asked as he approached, but was stopped by an invisible shield of wind.

“Really Rowan?” Aelin asked her mate who was still looking at the three males with a death stare.

“Don’t expect me to trust people I’ve known for barely a few minutes,” he said, still not looking at her.

Aelin sighed and knew that Rowan wouldn’t trust them. The old bastard didn’t trust anyone.

She turned to Rhys and his court, “Don’t mind him, he doesn’t like to meet new people.”

Feyre smiled as she looked at Rhys.

“Now,” Aelin looked back at her mate, “drop the shield you territorial bastard before I drop it myself.”

Cassian choked on a laugh while Feyre smiled and again glanced at Rhys who turned to her and said, “Don’t.” even as he laughed.

Rowan smiled then and looked at Aelin, “I’d like to see you try.”

Aelin smiled as well, not breaking eye contact with Rowan as she flicked her wrist and the invisible shield turned to fire and disappeared not a blink later.

Rowan chuckled lowly and Aelin stepped forward, answering Rhys’ question, “I’m better, I just needed rest and sleep after using so much power.”

Rowan’s face turned hard again.