Chapter 11

Fenrys thrust his sword forward, only for it clash with Azriel’s and having him jump back when the spymaster shot out with his other blade, Fenrys blocking the hit and muttering a curse under his breath.

After the general had insisted on them learning the ways and techniques of combat Aelin and her court used in battle back in their world, the last two days had been a mix of talking about battle and practicing new moves that could prove helpful at some point.

It had been two days since the brawl at the Dawn Court. Two days since Fenrys had been feeling the kind of peace he’d never experienced before.

Here, he woke to the warm sunlight and the sound of crushing waves. He woke without worrying if he was going to make it through the next few hours.

He loved everything about this place and world in general, where he was away from the ugliness of war and death.

But, he knew it was only temporary, that this peace he was feeling was going to end at some point because they needed to go back to Erilea and basically save the world, and he wasn’t even slightly annoyed or bothered because he would follow his Queen to death if it meant it would bring her peace.

He owed Aelin his life and much more than that. His life was nothing compared to what she was offering him, a better world. She had given him the blood oath to save him but he knew she would break it in a heartbeat if he asked, but little did she know that it was the greatest honor that he’d ever been offered, to serve in her court as a loyal subject of hers and fight for a noble cause.

Helion’d said that he needed at least four days for him to rally his magic and cast the spell correctly this time without accidently opening many portals and then, they’d be off.

As for the plan for the humans, all high lords had began immediately on working to make it happen, except for Beron of course, he hadn’t been heard from since the fight and Aelin didn’t want him to have part in the plan anyway.

They’d all gone to the lands yesterday and had met some of the people there. There were negative and positive answers. Some feared and recoiled when they spotted them, ushering their children away from them and some had taken the news better than others, having accepted the idea of merging the lands together.

But still, the majority feared them as if they were death and torment given flesh. Some cursed and spat at them, some even had the courage to attack them, but they hadn’t  fought back because they needed to change the way the humans saw them and cast a good impression of themselves.

They’d  gone for hours, meeting merchants, hunters, healers and all kinds of people and seeing how they worked, their living conditions and learning as much as they could to see how they could improve things.

Their was still lots of work to do and much time to spend trying to gain their trust and it wouldn’t  be easy. Rhys had said as much before he’d  left this morning again with the rest of the High Lords.

A loud shout snapped him out of his thinking and both him and Azriel stopped their blades midair and turned to where Cassian and Rowan were sparring.

Rowan had a blade to the general’s throat, the latter down on one knee, and both were breathing heavily with sweat covering every inch of their skin.

Rowan pulled back his sword and offered a hand to Cassian who took it as he groaned and stood up, limping a bit and only then did Fenrys see the large gash that went down on the front of his thigh.

“Sorry about that,” Rowan said and Cassian waved him off as his wound began closing, Rowan doing the same with a slash down his arm that the general had managed to land.