𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖊𝖓 ~ 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖙𝖘 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖊𝖉𝖚𝖈𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓

INSIDE THE WALLS OF THE RED KEEP, Yelena's will was slowly crumbling. On this particular evening, she sat through a torturous dinner with Sansa, Cersei, Myrcella and Tommen.

It was excruciatingly quiet until Myrcella broke the quiet, with a subject that made everyone want for the silent discomfort again. "When will Joffrey and Sansa be married?" across the table from Yelena, the poor girl froze.

"Soon, darling," Cersei told her daughter. "When the war is over."

Yelena locked eyes with Sansa, taking a deep breath as she held eye contact, urging Sansa to breathe as well. Thankfully, she did.

"Mother says I'll have a new gown for the ceremony." Myrcella said brightly. "And another for the feast. But yours will be ivory, since you're the bride." Yelena bit her lip as her eyes squeezed shut, wishing her sister would be quiet.

The queen looked to Sansa expectantly. "The princess just spoke to you."

"Pardon, Your Grace." Sansa's voice shook. "I'm sure your dress will be beautiful Myrcella. I count the days until the fighting is done and I can pledge myself to the king in sight of the gods."

"There's nothing to pardon, Sansa." Yelena told her gently, ignoring the glare her mother shot her. "It's a rather uncomfortable subject."

Cersei narrowed her eyes. "And why would it be an uncomfortable subject, my cub?"

Yelena smiled innocently, a touch of sarcasm in her voice when she spoke again. "I only meant that times of war are unpredictable. And since our king is so very brave, I'm sure we'll see him fighting alongside his men soon." the corner of her lips twitched as her imagination ran wild. "The gods only know what kind of terrible fate could befall him out there..."

"That's enough, Yelena." Cersei snapped.

"Forgive me, mother," the princess said calmly, another small smile gracing her lips. "I only meant to speak the truth."

"Is Joffrey going to kill Sansa's brother?" Tommen asked. The girl looked close to tears now, making Yelena clench her jaw.

"He might." her mother said softly.

"No more speaking of this." Yelena said firmly. "We'll not discuss such things before Sansa so soon after losing her father."

Cersei only shrugged. "Even if he does, Sansa will do her duty. Won't you, little dove?"

Yelena stood suddenly, seething. Somehow, she managed to keep her voice even. "Come Sansa. We'll be excusing ourselves now."

"No. You won't." her mother said firmly as the princess took Sansa's arm.

She raised her eyebrows. "You're not the queen anymore, mother." her voice was soft. "You no longer outrank me. You certainly do not command me."

As soon as they were out of sight of the others, Sansa let out a long breath of relief. "Thank you." she murmured.

Yelena shook her head. "There's no need to thank me. What my mother is doing to you is awful. Anyone should do the same."

"But that doesn't mean anyone would. Thank you."

She smiled softly. "You're welcome."

***

It was only a week later that Yelena smashed open the doors of the throne room, beyond livid and ready to tear off the king's head. "JOFFREY LANNISTER!" she roared, red clouding her vision. Her sword hung at her side today. The second Varys had told her, she knew she might be walking into a bladed dance. Tyrion was on her heel.