𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖙𝖜𝖔 ~ 𝖐𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖓𝖔𝖗𝖙𝖍

this chapter is VERY long

**Jon POV**

THE NEXT MORNING JON SAT ASTRIDE HIS HORSE, Yelena at his side amongst their army, everyone tense. As he waited, his mind wandered back to the events that passed earlier that day.

She was up already when Jon appeared at the entrance to her tent. "May I come in?"

She turned, giving him a soft smile that sent his stomach into loops as she finished fastening on her forearm plating. "Of course."

His eyes wandered from the simple plait in her hair down to the tip of the sword at her belt before returning to her eyes. Part of him still couldn't believe he had her back, that she wanted him back still, after all this time. "I don't know what's going to happen today," he said softly. "But you'll be careful won't you? Try not to get killed?"

She chuckled. "That's always been the plan. But if I'm not allowed to die, then neither are you."

He shook his head as he looked down, trying not to smile. "I'm being serious-"

"So am I." she stepped swiftly forward, reaching out to grasp his hands and forcing him to meet her eyes again. His heart pounded. "I had to live without you once. I don't want to do it again."

As he looked at her, he felt as though he was slowly slipping away into a maddening sort of never ending love that would have him killing and dying for her. Just the thought that she could be taken from him today scared him shitless. "Gods, I love you." and then his mouth was back on hers again, his hands cupping her face and he felt her sink into him, her own hands pulling him in by his coat, her mouth sliding perfectly along his. When their lips separated, their eyes remained closed, foreheads pressed together. "You know I won't let Ramsay send you back there. You won't be sold off to King's Landing or Pyke now or ever. I promise."

This time, her smile was sad. "I know."

Thinking about it now, Jon was slightly worried; something about her response just didn't feel right. When he looked over, he saw her finger rest gently on something in her belt. It was only for a second, but he could see the vial now. He tensed slightly. Poison. He shook his head, silently promising himself that she would never have to use it.

Across a field studded with burning crosses, they could see Bolton's army, but no Ramsay. And then they did see him. He rode slowly up through the ranks, not in any sort of hurry, a bow and quiver strapped across his back. On Jon's left, Yelena's fingers brushed over her own bow and quiver strapped onto her saddle. When he finally reached the front, Jon felt his heart stutter. Bound by rope he tugged along another form behind him. Rickon. He drew a dagger, and Jon dismounted, striding forwards in fear, having no idea what to do. And then Ramsay cut the rope. His fear turned to confusion as the Bolton said something to Rickon. And the boy started running. Ramsay pulled out his bow, and Jon finally understood what was happening. He ran back to his horse as Ramsay drew the first arrow. "Hiyah! Hiyah!" He had to reach his brother first.

A voice came from behind him. "Hiyah!" Yelena. Of course she'd follow; Rickon was like family to her too. But he couldn't focus on that, couldn't focus on anything but getting to his little brother before Ramsay shot him down.

The first arrow missed by a long shot. As did the second. The third came closer. The fourth looked perfectly aimed, but he heard the sound of another arrow firing behind him, and it was suddenly shattered midair. Yelena. She'd intercepted his arrow with her own. And then the fifth pierced straight through Rickon's heart. Jon's blood seemed to freeze in his veins and he heard an enraged scream from behind him. He could see Yelena hit the ground in a roll, stopping right at the boy's side, pressing a desperate hand over where his heartbeat would have been. But none of that seemed to matter now; he'd only ever seen one person he cared about so fatally pierced before, but he'd been dying at the time too. He'd assumed that's where the numbness had come from. But now he felt it again.