Epilogue: One More Night

The Indoraptor stalked slowly through the woods, searching for his target. It had eluded his grasp for too long, and he was finally getting tired of it. Nothing escaped him, nothing ever could, not for long.

He caught the target's scent, just up ahead. He grinned as he camouflaged himself, slowly walking forward, ready to pounce.

When he did, he screeched loudly and tackled the target to the ground, holding it there. It fought back, but nothing could stop him, not for long.

Blue hissed at him, he'd already won the game. He should probably get up before she gets mad at him.

He complied, laughing a bit at her displeasure. She answered by tackling him back, and she snarled at him before both of them started laughing.

The Indoraptor gently pushed her off after a bit, the sun would soon set, and they needed to get to where they wanted to be.

Blue agreed, and the two made their way to the tall hill that they had grown quite fond of. The view from the top was absolutely perfect, and there was nothing better to do up there besides simply watching the sunset.

When they reached the top, Blue bumped him and stated that she was ready for another game. The Indoraptor chuckled, but he shook his head as he sat down. This left Blue pouting as she sat next to him. He'd promised that he'd play with her.

He had no intentions of breaking that promise, but the sunset was still his favorite part.

When the sun started its descent, Blue called out to him again, nudging his neck as she did so. They had taken this little vacation specifically to spend time together away from their children, and revel in the opportunities that came with their absence.

When he refused again, she asked him why. He paused for a moment before answering with a sound meant to convey that he was thinking.

She was silent after that, she knew how important his times of thinking were to him, and that he would be finished soon. She would be patient.

As the sun began turning the sky into all manner of colors, the Indoraptor pondered his place in the world. He felt that he had lived for so long, yet there was so much more life to live.

What had he learned in all of this time? And what was left for him to know?

From the pen he learned what he needed to survive. From the tests he learned how to kill and fight. From the bipeds he learned of anger and hate. From freedom he learned of purposelessness and despair. From Blue he learned what it was to care for another, and what it was to be cared for in turn. From his children he learned of pride, pride in the accomplishments and lives of others.

And from the world, he learned of life. And from himself, he learned of purpose.

What was his purpose now? What great story was his to tell?

He doubted that there was one, and he reveled in that fact. His life was tumultuous, but it was peaceful. His life was calm, and it was good. There was no great story, there was just life. A life that was his to experience.

The sunset was beautiful to him, and he stared at it as the sky grew dark.

He purred and nudged Blue, he was ready to play now.

So they played, and he was happy to say that both of them were very pleased in the aftermath of it all.

The night was young, but they were in no rush. They had played their favorite game, once so strange to the Indoraptor, now something meant to affirm their bond.

She had never stopped supporting him, and he had never stopped living for her. He owed her that for everything she'd done for him. She was his purpose, her and their children.

As they laid down to rest, he pondered the many strange things about their favorite game. Out of any game he'd ever played, this one was the one that he knew was exclusive. It was something that was meant to be special, something to cement a bond meant to last, or at least that was what it was for his kind.

It was a way for him to make her happy, while at the same time she made him happy. It was a joy they could share, in a way that couldn't compare to anything else. They had first played the game because she wanted what came after, but they kept playing the game because of how it made the two of them feel closer than they would be otherwise.

So as she lay beside him, he asked if she wanted to play their game again before they went to sleep.

She readily agreed, and the pair of raptors played their game once more.

This time there would be no reprise, and the tired raptors bumped snouts one last time before they went to sleep on their hill.

And this time, when the Indoraptor dreamed, he dreamed not of a life that hurt him, a world that disowned him, and a race that made him and tortured him. Instead he dreamed of a life that fulfilled him, a world that supplied him, and a family that cared for him and loved him.

He was the Indoraptor. Nothing more, and nothing less. It was finally time to stop thinking of his life as a great story, for his life was never meant to be one. Until the end, this would be one of his favorite moments, curled up around his closest companion, his best friend, his mate, taking in the stars on a hill overlooking it all.

Nothing could ever compare, and he was fine with that. Now, it was time to rest.