nineteen

Harry

"I couldn't want you anymore..." I strum lightly on my guitar, singing softly to myself. The sunlight streamed onto my notebook as I read the scribbled lyrics I quickly wrote down the instant I got home last night.

My mind however, was stuck trying to figure out what should come after that.

"Let me inside, I wanna get to know you." Two lyrics I knew would go in the song, but not next to each other.

"I don't want to make you feel bad but, I've been trying hard not to talk to you..." I blink, thinking a little about it. It made sense for the beginning of the relationship, when I was so hesitant on talking to her or texting her. I pen the words onto the paper in case. I hum the bit of melody I had thought of already, strumming along to discover the chord progressions.

After a while, I sigh, sitting back in my chair. I pull my phone out, and open Twitter.

Even though I was telling Beverly to stop getting roped into social media, I couldn't stay away from it myself. But for some reason, only this time. Before, I never really cared what people had to say about who I was dating, or who I was seen with, but this time, I did.

I felt protective of her. And last night, while I was laying in bed, I scrolled as people said hurtful things about it all. Some people were nice, of course. The ones that lived by my motto: treat people with kindness.

Some others, not so much.

How could people judge and scrutinize someone they don't even know?

Why would Harry go from a model to literally a nobody?

He can do so much better, he's literally Harry Styles.

I could feel myself getting more and more frustrated, my hand gripping my phone tighter until my fingertips turned pale. Before I could chuck my phone, I lock it, groaning out loud.

"Fuck!" I yell, running both of my hands through my hair. I breathe a little bit trying to calm down. My phone rings, snapping me out of my thoughts and I look at the screen.

"Hey," I pick up, a smile instantly on my face.

"Hi there." Her familiar voice speaks in my ear. "What are you up to?"

"Just writin' a bit." I say, glancing down at my handwriting. "You?"

"Another song?" She asks, excitement laced in her words.

"A bit of one. Not quite finished yet."

"Well, I'm excited to hear it. Anyways, are you free today? Mel and I were going to do something later and she wanted me to ask you." She explains.

"What, you didn't want to ask me?" I tease, leaning back against the couch.

"I did, other wise I wouldn't be calling you!" She laughs, and I chuckle myself at the sound of her sweet voice.

"I'll be there."

"You don't even know what we're doing." She giggles again.

"Yeah, well, if it means I get to see you, I'm there." I admit, shrugging slightly to myself. I stand and walk myself to the kitchen, opening the large steel fridge. The cool air hits my face, as I scan for something to drink. The line goes silent for a few seconds before she speaks again.

"I'll text you the details later." She tells me with a small, breathy laugh at the end. "See you soon, Harry."

"See you, Bev."

I grab a diet coke out of the fridge and pop it open. Sipping the liquid from the can, the fizziness tingles my mouth and runs down my throat, the coolness refreshing my mouth.