seven

Harry

My fingers hover over the buttons, doing a small dance of their own as my mind thinks about what I should say.

Hello, Beverly. Just making sure I have the right number.

My thumb hits the backspace arrow until there's nothing typed in.

Beverly. Just making sure you didn't give me a fake number.

Delete.

For once, I'm not sure on how to word a simple text message. Two days was quite a long time to get someone's number and wait to text them. She probably gave up on me by now. I should've texted her sooner.

Beverly. Don't know if you remember me. It's Harry. Just making sure you didn't give me a fake number. x

Send, before I change my mind again.

I instantly regret it. I close my eyes and lock my phone, awaiting a response. The phone rings within minutes, but when I look at the caller ID, it's not who I was expecting.

"Hello?"

"Harry, darling. What are you doing today?"

"Nadine. Erm - how are you?"

"I'm well. Anyways, I was thinking a lunch, if you're available."

"Uh - yeah. I think I can do that." I say. For a moment I think about telling her no, but then again, I didn't have a reason not to go out.

"Alright. So..."

"Right." I clear my throat. "I'll pick you up at 12."

"Great. Thanks, love." I decide to stop dwelling over a text message, and get ready for my lunch date with my supposed girlfriend.

We haven't quite made things official. It's been a nice thing, seeing her, but I'm not sure I'm really drawn into her. She's a great person, but there really isn't a connection.

I get dressed and make sure I'm presentable. Seeing that it's already 11:30, I go ahead and slip my shoes on, grab my keys and wallet, and head out the door into the streets of L.A., only to walk to my car.

I start the engine, and begin the drive over to her house.

• • •

"So, how've you been?"

"Good. And yourself?"

"I've been fine. Did you ever get a chance to go to the Burberry show you asked about?" She asks me while feeding a forkful of greens into her mouth.

"Yeah, I did. Thanks for helping me out with that." From the corner of my eye, I can already see flashes from cameras and hear the shuttering of the lenses as pictures of the two of us are being taken.

"No problem at all. Why did you want to go?"

"Oh - erm - I just enjoy the whole collection of it. And the shows." I say. Thankfully, she nods and doesn't question anything else.

We're eating quietly, until a familiar voice calls out my name.

"Harry!" I hold up a hand as a greeting.

"Hey."

"How've you been, man?"

"I've been good, Zach. How are you?"

"Great. Hey - am I interrupting something?" He asks, gesturing between Nadine and I.

"No, it's fine." Nadine answers, smiling.