Chapter 38

"Epsilon?" Zion asked, almost surprised. I give him a nod. "I didn't think you'd turn up." A smug smirk crossed his face. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

I shrugged, forcing a smirk to my lips despite the sadness still roiling inside. My encounter with Azure had only been twenty minutes ago, and yet her fearful reaction of me still hurt. "I don't know, Lord Zion. I guess you could say I missed your company."

The male rolled his eyes with a scoff. "You're a terrible liar, Epsilon."

"And you're a terrible actor," I quipped back, frowning. "You left my room like I'd done something to upset you, but now I realize that isn't the case."

He stared at me for a moment before scoffing. "Not only are you a bad liar, but you're an overthinker. Please, Epsilon, pick a struggle -- there's only so much I can deal with."

I sighed. Despite my sadness, I couldn't help but feel lifted by our back-and-fourth banter. It was good to have things back to the way there were, even if there was still a little tension in the air. Smiling, I returned my gaze to his. "What will we be doing today?"

I could've sworn excitement flashed through those stone-cut eyes. "Today, Epsilon, we're gong to try discover your unique ability."

I started. "So soon?"

The male cocked an auburn brow. "You seem shocked, Epsilon," his mouth curved into a devious smile. "Afraid?"

I barked a laugh. "You wish!" but in reality, I was scared. It seemed Zion and I's strange connection had sustained itself after all, and I didn't want to ruin it by disappointing him now. It seemed Zion read my thoughts, though, for he gave me a surprisingly soft smile. 

"Do not fret. I don't plan on a screaming match today -- I understand this topic is difficult."

I blinked. Zion... saying he doesn't want to fight? Admitting that a skill was actually difficult to master? I stared at him. Who are you and what have you done with the red-headed prick? 

Seeing my disbelief, he waved me away. "Besides, I don't want to listen to your whining; it gives me a headache."

I shrugged. "Fine by me."

He waved at me to begin, so, smiling, I closed my eyes, focusing on the buzz in the air around me. I drew it into me, as easily as one would draw in air. I allowed it to penetrate my skin, energizing my muscles and thrumming through my bones. My senses sharpened, and after a few moments of slight trembling, I opened my golden eyes. "What now?"

"I want you to focus all that energy onto one spot in your body," he instructed. "Any spot; it just has the be concentrated into a small area for this to work."

"Alright..." I said, uncertainty lacing my tone. Shutting my eyes, I directed the energy to my right palm. My hand felt slightly uncomfortable with so much energy drumming underneath it, but I tried to push the discomfort out of my head. "Now what?"

"Can you feel anything different?" he began. "Anything at all?"

I paused, allowing myself to analyze the concentrated pool of energy in my palm. The skin of my palm was beginning to sweat, and my hand was really starting to ache with the weight of the red-hot magic. Feel something? I thought to myself. What does he want me to feel?

"No," I said finally. "No, I can't."

The male remained silent for a few moments. "Nothing at all?"

"No, just a lot of pain -- Zion, what is this supposed to do? What am I meant to feel?"

I heard him blow out a breath. "Concentrating your lunar magic into one place should allow you to feel your affinity towards one of the four abilities, but obviously you're not at that point yet."

His words held no anger, not even the disappointment I was anticipating, but they still hurt me all the same. Hearing that I wasn't at the right level he expected of me hurt my pride. I knew I shouldn't be so hard on myself, that I had only been a werewolf for such a small time, but part of me also believed I should meet everyone's expectations by now. I had spent more than enough time suffering at the low levels, at places far beneath what everyone else had expected of me. That thinking wasn't good for me, I knew, but I couldn't help it. I had always been a competitive and prideful soul, so this dish of reality was a hard slap to the face. 

We continued for hours, and I was very surprised by Zion's patience, even when mine started to wear thin. Zion must've sensed my defeat, because he shot me affirmation after affirmation -- that 'it would come to me in time', or that I 'would master it eventually'. They were words very foreign to my ears, especially coming from the likes of him. 

It was only once the sun had hit the tip of the trees did we call it a day.

"Oh, and, Epsilon," he started as soon as I'd turned to leave. Everything ached and I wanted nothing more than to flop onto my bed and brood. Even so, I turned to give him my full attention. He deserved it considering how patient he'd been today, even with my disappointing progress. "The Alpha wishes to see you whenever you're free. He said he tried to catch you in your quarters this morning, but by the time he'd arrived, you were gone."

He paused at my dumbfounded silence. "So," he began, exasperated. "Are you free this evening?"

Snapping from my stupor, I nodded. "Yes," I stammered. "Tell him I'll meet him in the courtyard."

A small smile crept upon Zion's lips as he nodded. I turned on my heel to walk away.

"Kyra, wait--" he called. I stopped in my tracks, frozen as he grabbed my wrist and whirled me  around. As quickly as he'd done it, he jerked his hand away, clutching it as though I'd burnt him. As he stared down at me, several emotions passed through his eyes: shock, disbelief, then finally sorrow. I frowned at him, noticing that the air between us had shifted significantly. 

He mumbled something I couldn't decipher, and before I had an inch to ask him to repeat himself or explain what the hell just happened, he whirled on his heel and stalked away. I stared at his back in bewilderment. What the hell was that?

But as I watched him scuttle away, I realized it wasn't just his behavior that struck me as odd.

For once, he'd addressed me by my name -- my real name.