Chapter 43

I walked briskly through the crowd, suddenly hating the attention that was on me. I didn't know how badly the Pelta was ripped, and I didn't want to turn around and find out, either. 

"Kyra, slow down!" Raina pleaded, barely keeping pace. It only made me walk faster. "Kyra--"

"What?" I snapped, turning to face her. I regretted my words the moment I saw hurt flash through her eyes. I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed. She wasn't the one I should be angry at, and if anything, I was madder at myself. "Sorry," I mumbled, allowing my arms to fall to my side.

She gave me a nod. "I understand; you're frustrated, I get it." She gave me a small smile, and though I didn't have the energy in me to return it, I appreciated it all the same. Raina always had a knack for saying the right things.

"It's just--" I began, fighting the tightness in my throat. I wouldn't allow myself to cry -- not here, not in front of all these people. I blew out a long breath. "She always manages to ruin everything for me, Raina, and I'm sick of it. But there's nothing I can do. I don't have that bitchiness in me, and I've never been good at dealing with these types of girls. Sure, Azure's usually tolerable, but to ruin my moment like that, I'm--"

I stopped, allowing my head to fall into my hands. I should've known this was going to happen -- whenever I was having a good time, Azure was always five paces away, ready to ruin it all. 

"I'm sorry, Kyra," Raina said quietly. She stared over my shoulder, towards where I could only presume the tear was. "If it makes you feel better, the rip's not that bad, really. And the fact it's night makes it all the harder to see, too."

I gave her a weak smile. I was about to respond with something half-hearted when a voice sounded behind me.

"Why hello, Kyra dear; I've been looking all over for you."

Faster than lightning I whirled, bright blue eyes clouding my vision. He looked even more gorgeous up-close. "Azriel," I stammered then, remembering we were in a crowd, added, "--Lord."

The male shook his head with a smile, black hair shifting with the motion. He looked towards Raina -- who of which looked ready to faint -- and smiled. "You don't mind if I take Kyra away from you for a bit, dear?"

She shook her head, speechless, then stood aside so he could walk up next to me. If I wasn't so shocked myself, I may have laughed at Raina's stunned expression.

Throwing her a grateful nod, he extended his arm to me. With a shaking hand, I took it, noticing all the eyes that were on us. Azriel didn't seem to care, and for some reason, it only made me nervous. It seemed whatever confidence I had melted whenever it came to Azriel.

Bidding Raina a silent farewell, I feel in-stride with Azriel as he tugged me along, the crowd parting for us. His gaze was locked ahead, so I took my chance to admire him, his jawline and brows looking even sharper in the crisp moonlight. 

For a while, we walked in silence. I could feel a strange tension in the air, but from the calm look on Azriel's face and the slight bounce in his step, he didn't seem to be feeling it. I wanted to ask him about the kiss, and what it had meant, but I didn't want to make the situation any more awkward than it already was. Or maybe I was just imagining the awkwardness -- overthinking as always.

"I know of a secret spot we can go," his voice cut through the silence. My heart accelerated in my chest as I pondered what that could mean. Secret spot? Alone? With Azriel? Sure enough, we were getting to the edge of the crowd, and I was starting to get nervous. 

"I take it you like the gift?" he asked. I blinked, and it took me a moment to realize he was referring to the Pelta.

I nodded my head fervently. "Yes, Lord Azriel, I love it, but... why me?"

He raised his brows, still staring ahead. "'Why you'?"

I shifted uncomfortably, but the male didn't seem at all phased. I wish I could have his composure. "Well, to be wearing your colors is a great honor, so why would you give it to someone like me?"

The male chuckled and shook his head, but he didn't give me an answer. Instead, he changed the subject, "Don't you think the moon looks just wonderful tonight, my dear?"

I blinked and looked up at the sky. We were away from the crowds now, and without all the smoke and lights, I could see the moon a lot clearer. It was a bright white orb against the black canvas, its glow ethereal and bright like the light of a lone lighthouse. It almost looked like a silver supernova in the sky. There was something soothing about its light, and I felt my heart slow as I looked at it -- just a bit. 

I opened my mouth to respond when Azriel's hand suddenly clasped mine. I gasped as he pulled me into the forest, my heartbeat impossibly loud in my ears. There was something electrifying about the contact of our skin, and I couldn't deny the sweat breaking out on my back.

"We're almost there," he whispered, pulling me along. I followed him in a trance, my eyes locked on our hands. Azriel guided me over stumped roots and large rocks until we reached a clearing I'd never seen before. I gasped.

It was beautiful. The grasses were a lush green, the speckles of dew upon their blades reflecting images of the moon. A small lake sat in its center, its dark waters sprinkled with stars and the glowing silver of the moonlight. Frogs croaked a slow melody, the crickets quiet and reserved. I said nothing as Azriel pulled me in towards the lake, before stopping to look up at the sky.

"I find this is the best view of all places."

I looked up. 

He was right. There was nothing to interrupt our view here; no lights, no smoke, no jarring voices. Just a clear-cut image of the night, of the blinking galaxies and the darkness in between.

"You make me feel things I've never felt before, Kyra," he whispered, his hand tightening on mine. My gaze snapped to his. What could he mean by that? His words set my heart on the verge of arrest, and I was sure any look, any move, would incapacitate me.

Something in my gut stirred at the sincerity in his eyes, the way they seemed to fill with emotion as they gazed into mine. "You're so headstrong..." he continued. "And beautiful, and amazing... and maybe you can't see that, but I can."

The clearing darkened in my peripheral as the moon's light began to dwindle, but my eyes were too far lost in Azriel's to notice. 

"I want you to be mine, Kyra."

Then, he leaned over and kissed me.

It was soft at first, light kisses that feathered over my lips, almost as though I was fragile china he were afraid to break. My bones melted into butterflies, sparkly explosions detonating in my gut. Part of me was frozen, still in time, whilst my other half felt so alive.

He gently wrapped one hand around my neck and the other around my waist, pulling me into him. I shivered as his lips slid over mine, and I couldn't help myself as I answered with equal effort.

I loved the coldness of his lips and the faint taste of whiskey on his mouth. I shivered with every feathering touch, with every gentle stroke of his fingers along my body. I knotted my hands in his hair, eager for more; wanting more. He pushed further into me, his eagerness matched by my own as his tongue slid over my lips, a slight groan escaping from his chest. I pulled him towards me, groaning slightly as his tongue made its way into my mouth, going along the underside of my lips. 

Gently, without taking his mouth from mine, he guided me backward until I lay flat on my back. My whole body ignited as he leaned over the top of me, his mouth continuing to slide along mine, a sudden primitive desire taking over.

'I want you to be mine, Kyra.'

And I want to be yours. 

I pulled him closer, forcing his weight atop me. I ground against his hips, eager for more -- more of him. He seemed a little bit hesitant, likely surprised by my eagerness, but I was ready; I always had been. He disconnected from my mouth, giving me a look as though to ask if I was sure. I melted at the adoring look in his eyes, the way he gazed at me as though I was made of the stars themselves, as though I was the only girl in the world. I nodded, and he leaned down to kiss me again.

Then a blood-curdling scream ripped through the clearing.