Chapter 26: Aril

Children playing the red light, yellow lights, and green light game Jaylin simply sat outside a cafe writing reports. So focused on her work, she didn't realize how long had passed. Once she looked up trying to refocus her to the surroundings, children's laughter entered her sound processing part of the brain. They were still enjoying their days knowing nothing of the world. A large numeral of children in the world are innocent and mostly oblivious beings on the planet, yet here in Gotham, there are ones who have more awareness than adults. How nice would it be to go back to those times, being obvious to the world around I mean? A pause later, another thought emerged in her mind, horrifying.

But either way, she had gained friends for life when she was young. It wouldn't be all that bad to go back to those -most- ignorant times.

The children's laughed once again registered in her mind. Innocence, something a lot of people give up when they grow older. Innocence, it didn't matter that this was the worst city of America, inside it, still had its own innocence. It didn't matter if there were dangers around every corner, there was still some genuine and innocent laughter present, this was their home.

One of the children tripped and landed on the ground. Jaylin placed down her compete in her bad rapidly and left it there, not really worrying if it got stolen. Approaching the little boy, she asked his mother permission, "hello, I'm a doctor, I can help with this."

The woman smiled kindly, "don't worry about it, it's just a scratch."

"No, no, I can help," Jaylin offered going back to her bag, which thankfully wasn't stollen, and took out the first aid kits.

"Thank you, pretty sister," the child beamed at the doctor.

"Thank you," the mother sincerely thanked before taking her child's hand and walking away.

Jaylin stood there staring for a while, it was nice seeing a family. It was nice having a family. It was heartwarming.

◊◊◊

"Hey! Out of the car now!" Jason shouted as he opened the car door of a random person. The guy immediately got off following orders and was afraid of the consequences.

"You can't just steal a car!" Shouted Dick.

"Oh, you wanna be a dick now?!"

"Very funny!"

"What do you want me to do?! Tell them- whoever they— the ones chasing us - to wait a few minutes and let us go home for our own cars!?" Dick was silent as he stepped on the gas. Turns out, the gear was on the reverse. "You need to check the gear first."

"Shut up!" Shouted Dick. Cue the bullet through the back window. "I still can't believe you stole a car!"

"Technically, you're the one driving. The only car - I not so successfully, tried to steal was B's wheels when I was a kid."

"Not that hard to believe anymore."

"It was never hard to believe. So what's the plan?"

"Well, before you stole the guy's car, it was supposed to meet up with the others at the manor."

"That's a shitty plan." Jason started to look through the guy's car glove compartment.

"What are you doing?"

Jason continued to trash the insides of the compartment, "this is Gotham. The guy should know well enough to be armed." A second later, a secret compartment in the compartment was revealed. "Aha!"

Well, his joy lasted has a second before another shot landed on the review mirror shattering the glass. The sudden explosion surprised Dick that made him swerve. "I don't care anymore. SHOOT HIM DOWN!"