Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Shit, you weren't kidding." Ambrosius managed.

Everyone stared grim-faced at the monitors that gave us several different views of the army that waited outside the main entrances. Lucifer's jaw ticked as he glared at the screen that showed the army that was forcing its way past the gates in Portius, Raven's main forces and all the Sins violently retaliating... but they were barely denting the forces.

"Jesus Christ," Akin breathed, eyes flashing across the screens, "How did they get that many supporters in such a short amount of time?" Lea's eyes darkened as she tightened her grip on her helmet, nails scraping the black paint.

"Atlan's a sweet-talker," She muttered, eyes scanning the screens, flinching as a soldier from Hades was beheaded, "He probably promised them all manner of gifts and rewards to fight for him." Ambrosius let out a long breath of frustration.

"There's no way we can proceed with our original plans at this rate. They jumped us fast and hard. Even if Tsukuyomi put a step on it, we still wouldn't be able to leave with the amount of people we intended." He growled. Lucifer looked distress as he raked a hand through his hair, slamming that same hand down on the control panel.

"Damn it," He cursed, "I can't leave my realm. I can't. My people are depending on me."

"Which is why I'm going there," Hades replied sternly, "Don't worry about it."

"And your realm?" Lucifer demanded. Hades ground his teeth together. I frowned, studying the screens as ideas flitted through my mind at the same time. If I was going to fight Atlan, I would have to have certain people around me. Lucifer wouldn't be able to come with our group anyway considering our current relationship, or lack thereof. Even though I was sure Lucifer wouldn't kill me considering Akin's reaction, I didn't trust him at my back. Akin I trusted no problem. I'd fought with him at my side for years now, against all kinds of enemies. I was still unsure of Lea as well. I hadn't fought her well enough or known her long enough to be able to ensure our fighting styles would be compatible...

"Wait," I said, making everyone look at me, "Lucifer, fight in Hades with Xenon and Xiphrus. Lea, Hades, and Ambrosius can take Hell. I have someone who can accompany Akin and I to Atlantis, but I'll need your assistance, Hades." Hades's blue eyes flashed warily.

"Why do I have a bad feeling I know who it is?" He asked. I gave him a flat stare.

"Because you were reading my mind while I was thinking about it." I said. Hades curled his lip.

"Absolutely not," He snarled, making everyone look at us in confusion, "I'm not dragging anyone out of Tartarus, not even for this." I glared at him impatiently.

"Menoetius has served his time for his crimes and in case you missed the tabloids, Menoetius wouldn't attack me. Not this time. I've fought centuries with Menoetius by my side. I know how he works. I know his attacks and his strategy." I explained. Akin's eyes widened in shock.

"Wait, Menoetius? I think you and I have a lot of discussing." He said, looking angry. Lea nodded in agreement, scowling.

"I know what you said before about Menoetius and his feelings for you, Hannibal, but you also mentioned that Menoetius attacked you before." She warned.

"Yes, because Iapetus was there to watch over him like a hawk," I responded quickly, then gestured to the screens behind us, "We don't have another choice. I need at least two people to come with me to watch my back, people I've fought with and can trust at my back. And the rest of you need to stay here and defend Hades and Hell. Hades, Lucifer, those are your realms. As the leaders of those realms, it is your job to protect them. And, Lea, if there's anyone I trusted to help them do that, it's you." Lea's eyes widened slightly at the disclosure. Akin clenched his teeth, glancing back at the monitors before looking at Hades, defeated. Hades balled up his fists, eyes glaring at me so hard I'm surprised they didn't burn holes through my head.