59. Let the Party Begin

Okay, so it wasn't plastic surgery but nevertheless, Sofia barely could recognize herself after the makeover. She was sporting a classic red lipstick look that was perfectly fitting her long black dress. Her brown hair was curled and tied in a bun with a few strands falling on her face.

This is when Valentino decided to knock and then peak through the door of her room. He was already wearing a white shirt and black pants and a suit jacket.

"So... ooof. Woah" he went through a mini-shock when he saw her.

"What?" Sofia asked worried that something is wrong.

"No, it's all good. It's just that you look different today", he grinned and handed her a wooden box "Alessandro wanted you to have it"

"What is it?" Sofia asked.

"Our mother's jewellery box" he explained.

Sofia sat on her bed to see the contents of the box feeling like a pirate opening a treasure chest.

"Holy shit" she gasped.

"Yeah there's a lot of crap in there" Valentino replied.

"Crap? Do you know how much this all costs?" Sofia asked wanted him to take his words back.

Valentino shrugged his shoulders not knowing what the fuss is about and left her room.

Sofia didn't need to take her time searching for the right look, she knew instantly what she wants to wear: pearls. It would be a great match for her dress.

Sofia still felt like a normal girl in this extraordinary outfit. Like someone who entered a fairy tale realm where she's a princess. She would never have thought that she will be able to afford a dress that costs thousands of dollars.

The magical moment disappeared when she saw in a mirror the marks on her wrists. She felt guilty because her actions. She fetched a pair of opera-length white satin gloves before leaving the room.

"Fia, good timing. We should go" Francesco said gently, looking at his silver watch. "By the way, you look amazing," Francesco said and everyone agreed. Sofia blushed and mumbled thanks.

They looked amazing too. All of them was wearing black, tailor-made suits.

"It's time for us" Alessandro announced.

It was Sofia's first time sitting in a limo. To her brothers sitting in a car like that just wasn't big deal. They arrived at Palazzo Biscari, a private palace owned by the host - Errico Santini, 20 minutes later.

Sofia knew little to nothing about Italian politics. All she knew is that he's the father of Felice. What else? Nothing, she saw his picture maybe once, she was never interested in politics. And she was living in this country for barely a month.

She didn't need to make any research about the Annual Foundation Banquet organized by the Santini family because her brothers told her everything she needed to know. The banquet was a fundraising event and after dinner, there would be an auction. This year's money would be donated to National Center for Missing Children.

When they entered the ballroom Sofia was stunned with a breathtaking view of the room with frescos on the ceiling, walls with hand-painted mosaic and a huge chandelier. The exceptionally ornamental decoration was known from late baroque and called "rococo style", she believed that the Ianniello house always had some of its elements but not to this extent, it was more toned down to not totally imitate Versailles as this place did.

But her focus quickly shifted from admiring architecture to actively searching for the Denaro family.

There they are. She found them. They were wearing similar official outfits as her brothers and unfortunately, they too looked like supermodels as well which made her feel like shit. Where's justice? Why did she get the worst genes in this family?!