61. Never Again

Tw: self-harm mention

Sofia's mind was like a battleground right now.

Too much information to process. Cesare, Anastasio, Denaro brothers, her mental issues, school life. Her everything.

And when things were getting too overwhelming she had only one way to cope: cutting.

Without fully realizing what she's doing her legs guided her to an old backpack where she had Anastasio's knife safely stored.

She sat on the bed and she touched with its blade her wrist but before she started pressing it to her skin she froze in place.

It came back to her.

That moment on the beach.

Now you want to live? Anastasio's voice appeared in her head. He was so angry at her that day. And she was angry at him, right now.

Being reminded of that moment, of how scared she was, how scared he made her feel bad made her blood boil. This is the moment when she realized that she's sick of getting hurt.

I'm not going to let that happen again. She decided with determination.

She realized and let the knife slip out of her grasp and fall on the hardwood floor of her bedroom.

No one and most certainly not her own hands will harm her again.

While she was in her bottle mood she instantly noted that the door handle moving.

Oh shit. Someone is entering her room.

She panicked.

She had a split second to act and she barely managed to kick the knife under her bed.

"A-Alessandro what are you doing here?" she asked trying to not look spooked out of her mind.

She was seeing him an hour ago in his office. It was 1 am.

"I wanted to check up on you to see if you're sleeping. I was hoping therapy will help with your insomnia" he said, sitting on her bed.

"Not really" she responded truthfully.

"If you'd like to change a therapist, just say a word" Alessandro suggested.

"No. He's excellent. Like I don't know who else would deal so well with an uncooperative patient like me" Sofia admitted. "It was eventful evening. I can't... relax enough to sleep"

"According to my knowledge you haven't asked Felice for any sleep medica tion" Alessandro asked.

Sofia looked at him with suspicion "and how the hell do you know that?" She asked rudely. Then, instant self-reflection came. She shouldn't be using this tone for Alessandro. She knew by now that he wouldn't put up with it.

"He's not telling me anything about your sessions, if that's what you fear. But he would  inform me if you received any sleeping pills prescription. You're still a minor" Alessandro explained.

"I'm not the biggest fan of medication. Taking them would make me even more anxious" she tried to explain in the best terms she could. "I'm fine. I've been doing well with the sleep I'm getting" she added quickly.

Alessandro sighed and then stood up from his chair.

"Come with me" he instructed.

Sofia was confused but she was followed by her oldest brother. They went downstairs, passed through the living room and Alessandro used a key to open the spacious room with a piano.