Packing Your Bags

Everything went by so fast, I feel like it was just yesterday when Mom bursted in my room to tell me about the move, but it wasn't, it was a good 2 weeks ago. Now, I have 3 days until I fly to the Philippines with Mom and Dad in tow.

I went back to sit on the couch next to my oldest brother, Kuya Xander, whose 2-year-old daughter, Sophia, was lying on his stomach. "Tara, you gonna be good out in the Islands?" I remember being little kids and every time our parents would go to the Philippines, we'd refer to it as the Islands because that's how Mom and Dad called it. I sat back and looked at him, my right hand stroking Sophia's light brown hair. Her light complexion glowed under the dim light that extruded out of the T.V.

"Of course, Kuya. Are you going to visit me?"

He shifted around to make Sophia comfortable and to look me straight in the eye. "Atara, of course, I will. But will be a while cause you know Bree's about to give birth in the next coming months. I really can't believe you're moving to the Islands."

I looked down to my sock covered feet. "Yeah, me too. Three days."

I heard shuffling of feet at the arch towards the dining room. "Hoy Tara, you finished na ba your packing?"

I looked up to face my Dad. "No, not yet, Dad. I'm going up now." I hugged Kuya with Sophia between us and kissed Sophia's back softly.

I walked up to my room with Via sitting on my bed and Mom on the floor. They looked up at me, and I looked up at my clock behind my MacBook 8:23. Okay, time to pack my whole life up in 3 balikbayan box and 2 luggages. "Okay, Mom, where to start?"

"So are you going to pack na ba your whole closet or you would leave nalang some stuff lang?" Mom stood up and motioned towards my closet.

I walked to the mirror clad door and slid it open. "I'm packing everything, Mom."