Chapter 10

'Your bath is ready, Your Grace,' Mary said as she entered Emma's chamber.

Mary giggled as she caught Emma hidden behind the curtain. Emma had moved to the Duchess' chamber a few days back.

Emma was now watching, rather spying Lord Advent. He exercised on the balcony every day. It became elemental seeing him without a shirt covered in sweat. It made her stomach flip in odd delicious ways. Soon it became a routine, she woke up early and hid behind the curtain to watch him.

She knew she had to stop before she got caught. She hoped she didn't have to. Because she couldn't help it. She was falling for him.

'Why did you ask me to come early today?' asked Mary.

'I have something to do in the kitchen.'

'Kitchen!'

Lord Advent had come to think of her as Emma

Lord Advent had come to think of her as Emma. There was a warmth when she said, 'I am Mrs. Advent.'

Lord Advent knew Emma has been watching him from behind the curtain for the past week. It was exciting and terrifying at the same time, he felt like a green boy.

He furtively looked at the windows to check her profile, but couldn't see her. He slightly angled in her direction and looked. Still no sign of Emma. He stopped exercising and walked over. Emma wasn't there. He walked casually into her room but found it empty. It was disappointing. He hurriedly got dressed and went down searching for her.

The living room had no one. Just as Lord Advent set out to go search for her, Emma walked in, followed by her handmaid carrying a tray. The blush on her face was unmistakable.

What was so important that she abandoned her hiding spot and came down instead!

'Would you like to try a banana shake?'

'A what?' Lord Advent asked.

'Banana shake. I noticed you drink a lot of coffee. This is good after exercise,' she blushed starting from pink to red. He liked it when her cheeks did that.

'-but I also brought coffee in case you didn't like it.'

'Give it,' he said, motioning to the shake.

It was good, but he preferred coffee.

'It's good, I will have this every day.'

So this was why she wasn't at the window thought Lord Advent smugly.

Mrs. Dennis arrived holding some envelopes. She handed one to Emma. It was an invitation to the Duchess' meeting held by Lady Martha in Brent castle.

Mrs. Dennis has been teaching Emma how to run the household and various other properties owned by Lord Advent. Emma depended heavily on Mrs. Dennis, she was a little stern at times but always kind.

Emma showed the invitation to Mrs. Dennis and asked, 'What do they do in this meeting?'

'Duchess' meeting! When is it scheduled?'

'In three days.'

Mrs. Dennis went into a frenzy, 'In three days! We have no time to lose.'

Lord Advent chuckled. 'She will do fine.'

Emma wanted to do well and make him proud. And so her intense training began. There were sixteen Duchesses. Emma memorised their names, titles, whom she should curtsy, who were her equals and who should curtsy to her. Where to sit, how to sit, how to talk and importantly what not to talk.

Needless to say, Emma found herself on another shopping trip. 'Mrs. Dennis, I.. May I buy some embroidery supplies?' Emma asked hesitantly.

Mrs. Dennis scowled, 'Your Grace, are you trying to insult Lord Advent? You are the Duchess of Watford. You can have anything you want, you shouldn't need permission for buying things.'

Emma got excited. London offered a wider variety of supplies. She wanted to give something for Lord Advent. She bought all that was needed for a perfect gift.

The Duchesses meeting that had Mrs. Dennis so worked out turned out to be a gathering of women and merry talks. Emma was the youngest, but she was the one who was dressed less. Every woman's dress, jewels, tiara, shoes, bags and fans were of the latest fashion.

Mrs. Dennis had shown her the family jewellery. There was a sapphire jewellery set, and she liked it immediately. It was simple and elegant. It felt like it was the jewellery Lord Advent would like.

The tiara had three large sapphire stores decorated with pearls and white stone, with matching necklaces and studs. Mrs. Dennis didn't look happy that Emma selected that jewel set, but she didn't say anything.

Emma reached home to find a bouquet of blue orchids in her room from Lord Advent, congratulating her on her first successful Duchess duty.

She wanted to see him and made to his study. Mr. Rame, his assistant, was seated outside.

'Mr. Rame, I wish to meet His Grace.'

He knocked on the door and let her in. Lord Advent looked up with a smile, but his demeanour changed instantly when his eyes landed on her. His eyes narrowed and he balled his fist.

'I... Thank you... Thank you for the flowers,' Emma's voice faltered at his angry graze.

He nodded curtly, 'If that is all, I am busy.'

Emma curtsied and left. She didn't know what she had done to offend him. His anger was like a knife to her heart.