Chapter 15

Weeks passed to months. Lord Advent accompanied Emma to social events; their self-defence lessons continued; he ate dinner with her; he asked about her day. He treated her as one would treat a friend's daughter, but never a wife.

Antony and Marcus called on Emma frequently. It was good to have someone to talk to who didn't pry.

'Don't forget, we have a family picnic tomorrow,' Emma reminded Marcus.

'How can I forget when you will be in attendance?' he said flirtatiously with a wink.

'Still a rake, I see.' Emma said giggling.

'Old habits die hard.'

'Will Frances be joining us?'

'Yes.'

'Should be fun,' Emma said with a wink.

'Yes, it should be great fun. My mother and Frances together,' Marcus added sarcastically.

Antony just chuckled.

'Don't smirk just because your mother gets along with Matilda.'

'I thought it is a family-only picnic,' commented Amelia, eyeing Frances

'Yes, she is my family,' said Marcus and pulled Frances closer. They were engaged to be married soon.

'Some people would do anything; stoop to any level,' Amelia said in a stage whisper to Lady Martha Paulen.

'Can't agree more. Also, add people sticking their nose where they don't belong' Marcus said sarcastically.

Amelia glared at Lord Marcus; Lord Advent glared at Amelia; Lady Martha glared at Frances. Frances being Frances was oblivious to their insults as she said, 'This is delicious. Did you make this yourself, Emma?'

'Yes.'

'What's this called?'

'Churros, it's a Spanish dish. It's my mother's favourite.'

'I find this delightful too,' said Marcus' father, Lord Wincent Paulen, with faint hopes of lightening the conversation.

'I find it cheap and of commoners' style,' said Lady Martha steering right back to insulting Emma and Frances. Lady Martha was most displeased with Emma after she learned Frances was friends with the latter.

'Most times commoners' food is delicious,' said Lord Paulen. Lady Martha glared at her husband.

'I once had the delight of tasting pizza, an Italian dish made of shortbread, cheese and scrap vegetables. It's called the slave's food, but it was the most delicious thing I have ever tasted.'

Soon Emma found herself sitting with Amelia and Lady Martha. Marcus and Frances had gone for a stroll. They could hear the booming laugh of Lord Paulen on something Frances said.

'I have no idea what's gotten into men these days,' said Lady Martha.

'They are more into tramps than proper ladies,' said Amelia, eyeing Emma.

Emma was pretending to read a book, but couldn't help but stare at Lord Advent once in a while. He looked dashing. He was playing with Amanda and Amy, smiling frequently.

Emma wished she could join them too, but she didn't want to ruin it for him.

'At least Marcus is young, if father wanted to re-marry he could have married anyone. The least he could do is bring someone worthy. I have never been more ashamed of him my whole life.'

'That's enough Amelia,' Emma snapped, she could tolerate insults thrown at her. But how dare Amelia insult Lord Advent in front of everyone.

'What did you say?' she asked threateningly.

'I said stop insulting your father. After everything he has done for you.'

'Done for me! Like what? Marrying you?' she asked sarcastically.

'If you must know, your father saved me from a fate worse than death. A fate no woman should be subjected to. He married me to protect me. Your father is a hero, you shouldn't feel anything but pride.'

Amelia didn't have any retort. She sat glaring at Emma. The others joined them, Lord Advent eyed the pair cautiously.

Marcus sat next to Emma and started speaking in whispers.

'Are you alright?'

'Yes,' Emma said, taking a deep breath to control her anger.

'Heard your angry voice, but not fully to understand what you were saying.'

'Lost control, wouldn't happen again.'

'I don't mind, as long as you win,' he said playfully.

'How is captain Zennor doing these days? I once had the pleasure of sailing in his ship,' said Lord Wincent Paulen.

'You are related to Captain Zennor!?' asked Lady Martha in shock.

'Yes, he is my grandfather.'

'Are you the daughter of Victoria?'

'Yes.'

'Good god, why didn't you tell me before?' said Lady Martha, sounding offended.

From the look on Lord Paulen's face, it was clear he didn't bring up Emma's grandfather accidentally.

'Why did you know her?'

'Know her! She was my cousin and best friend; we grew up together. She made me your godmother. After she died I looked for you. But the whereabouts of Captain Zennor was kept secret.'

'You knew my mama?'

'I am in possession of her jewellery and items. She wanted to pass it to you as she couldn't bring it along during her journey.'

Tears stung Emma's eyes, 'All these years I had nothing that belonged to my mother. Just a vivid memory of her smiling face. Thank you so much for telling me this.'

The next day, Emma received a gift from Lady Martha. It was a portrait of her mother posing with Lady Martha.

'Mother,' Emma whispered, running her hands.

There also was a letter from Lady Martha.

~~~

Dear Emma,

This is a portrait of your mother when we were 18, just before our debut. This is one of my favourite portraits of her. I will soon acquire a portrait of your father too.

I still remember the day your father proposed to your mother. Neville proposed to her on the second day of their courting and your crazy mother accepted. I have never seen two people so much in love. Do visit me often. I have so many things to talk to you over a cup of tea.

Yours,

Martha.

~~~

With love EmmaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara