Chapter 27

'So, it's just you and me,' said Amelia with a scorn, as they rode to Evan's musical.

'Your father has prior engagements, he promised to join us before the ball.'

'Hmmm.' Amelia had her back turned away from Emma for the rest of the ride.

Emma prayed for everything to go smoothly and for Amelia to not lose her temper. Lady Evans' daughter, Rose Evans, was Amelia's friend. Emma believed Amelia would keep her temper in check at least for her friend.

The musical began, it was performed by the Evans cousins; they were good. Rose Evans was the youngest and she played the harp.

Amelia left Emma as Antony joined them.

'Thank god, I have a familiar face here. I thought you wouldn't be attending today.' said Emma.

'What gave you that impression?'

'I have never seen you attend any theatre performance, so I thought you were not into musicals much.'

'No, I like musicals and enjoy theatre performances too.' As he said those words, Emma noticed him wince unconsciously. Emma didn't know what made Antony so against them.

Emma hesitated before asking, 'I have a huge favour to ask you, you cannot say no to it.'

Antony didn't hesitate as he answered, 'Sure, anything for you.'

'You don't even know what I am about to ask!'

'I trust you, Emma.'

Emma smiled radiantly and said, 'Thanks, Antony. I want you to offer Amelia her first dance in case she doesn't find a partner. I would hate to see her missing her first dance.'

'I am sure she would love it,' he said sarcastically. Amelia's behaviour towards Antony during his every visit has been indifference bordering rudeness.

'I am sorry, I hope Lord Nicholas arrives soon and you won't have to do it. But just so -'

'This is a good development, Emma.'

'What do you mean?'

'Lord Nicholas, aye!' he teased, making her blush.

'Antony, stop teasing me. Surely Marcus's behaviour is not rubbing off you.'

Antony just chuckled and said, 'I am happy for you, Emma.'

The musical was drawing to a conclusion

The musical was drawing to a conclusion. Rose Evans was getting surrounded by many gentlemen. Emma couldn't take her eyes off the lonely figure of Amelia. Lord Advent was a no-show. The situation was making Emma increasingly edgy.

The music started, Antony walked to Amelia and offered her a dance. Amelia gave Emma a you-put-him-up to-this glare before taking Antony's hand.

'May I have this dance, Emma?'

'It's Lady Advent to you. Yes, why not.' Emma said curtly to Mr. Robert.

Mr. Robert offered his hand. Emma took his hand with a knowing smile. She was ready this time. As the dance began, Emma made sure to step on his foot as much as possible.

He retaliated by running his hand down her hip. During the next twirl, Emma removed a pin from her hair and jabbed his hip. She might have gotten the idea from Amelia. Amelia had tried to prick her during every one of their shopping trips with occasional success.

Mr. Robert lost his footing and fell, it might have been due to the sudden needle prick or Emma could have purposely tripped him.

'Mr. Advent, are you alright?' Emma asked, making sure to step on his fingers as she rushed to his side.

He squealed like a pig, 'Ha...nd...Ha..nd!'

Suddenly another lady joined, she too made sure to step on his other finger as she asked, 'I think he is having a seizure.'

'Maybe we should beat his legs, that should help,' said Lady Evans.

Emma realized Mr. Robert was highly unpopular among ladies. But he was saved from them by his valet, who helped him out.

Emma was instantly popular, most ladies came to congratulate her. They were vague about the reason. They congratulated her on wearing a beautiful dress or her hair or her fan.

 They congratulated her on wearing a beautiful dress or her hair or her fan

Lord Nicholas rushed to the ballroom just in time to watch Mr. Antony Bennet bow to Amelia, leading her to the dance floor. He searched for Emma and spotted her dancing with Mr. Robert. She kept stepping on Mr. Robert's foot. Lord Nicholas frowned, Emma was a good dancer.

Lord Advent's fist clenched in anger the moment he noticed Mr. Robert's lewd manners. Before he could react, Emma already had him down in seconds. 

When Emma first asked Nicholas to teach defence, he had tasked Mr. Rame to investigate. Rame came up with everything that Emma did in the preceding days, including her dance with Mr. Robert. Yet, Nicholas had then failed to dig deeper into his suspicions, assuming it was just Emma's nightmares that caused her the discomfort. Now, he knew better.

Nicholas followed Mr. Robert out.

'Lord Advent,' he started.

Nicholas punched Mr. Robert without preamble. He spaced every word with a punch, 'Don't you ever show your face in London. If I ever see you near my wife, consider yourself dead.'

Mr. Robert was completely out, but that did not suffice Nicholas' fury. Why didn't Emma tell him? When he returned Emma was surrounded by a gaggle of women congratulating her.

'Why are you angry?' Emma asked once they were alone.

'I am not!'

'Yes, you are.'

'No, I am not.'

'Nicholas, tell me what's bothering you.'

Nicholas wanted to confront Emma on why she didn't confess to him. But they were interrupted by Lady Evans who came to thank them for coming.

Emma slipped her fingers into his and drew circles on his palm. He relaxed a little.

Nicholas couldn't understand why Emma never informed him of her troubles. But he was not angry or upset with her any longer. He needed to gain her trust. Truth be told, he was never the husband he should have been, for her to unburden herself of her worries.

'Are you alright dear?' Emma asked once Lady Evans left them.

'Yes.'

When she didn't look convinced he added, 'I love you.'

She blushed saying, 'You should dance with Amelia.'

'Are you trying to rid me, dear?'

She giggled saying, 'Is that too obvious?'