Part 15

"I assure you this was not necessary," Colonel Fitzwilliam began, as he and Darcy squeezed themselves around a table in the crowded Meryton tea room. "My accompanying you, I mean."

"You do not want to?" Elizabeth imbued her voice with just the right degree of disappointment and was rewarded for the slight deception with a hurried shake of the head and assertion that, of all places in the world, Richard Fitzwilliam could imagine none he would rather be at but this table, with his cousin and Elizabeth Bennet, taking some refreshments.

Darcy witnessed this short exchange with a smile that did not go unnoticed by either of his companions.

"I am relieved to see that I am not the only one Elizabeth bends to her will so easily." He took a sip of his tea. "I shall deploy her on my behalf forever henceforth."

"She is certainly less inclined to make a mess of things than you are." Colonel Fitzwilliam was his droll self, but his comment landed to silence, and Lizzy noticed the concern that flickered across his face before Darcy lowered his cup with a groan.

"Indeed."

Lizzy smiled, relieved to see some degree of normality restored between the two cousins. Her smile soon slipped when she considered that matters were only resolved in part. An important part, to be sure, but still...

"Will you call at Longbourn again, Colonel Fitzwilliam?" She did not put a time constraint on the question. She did not say, this evening or even tomorrow. Part of her knew she ought to consult Jane before inviting this particular gentleman to call, but then she recalled how bright and buoyed her father had been by his friendship with the colonel and fought off her conscience. Jane would not be the only one to mourn Colonel Fitzwilliam's absence if it continued.

He did not respond straight away, though, and for a moment Elizbeth wondered if he had even heard her question. Exchanging a look with Darcy, she opened her mouth to ask it a second time, but before she spoke a word Richard's answer came, his voice low and his expression fixed on some far-off point in the distance.

"I suppose I must call at Longbourn at least once more," he said at last. "It is only right that I make my farewells to your family, for they have been so kind to me."

It felt to Elizabeth as if a cold, bitter wind swept through the tearoom as she tried to make sense of Colonel Fitzwilliam's words.

"Your - your farewells?"

"I have not told you." Colonel Fitzwilliam laid down the cup and saucer he had been holding and turned his chair a little so that he faced his companions more easily. "I received a letter this morning. No, not from Jane." He swallowed. "At least, hers was not the only letter I received. I had word from Colonel Forster that his business is concluded and he is en route back to Meryton to take charge of his regiment once more. My services are no longer required and it seems to me that it would be fitting that I take my leave and move on."

"Where?" Darcy's features remained impassive but Lizzy fancied she could hear the concern in his voice. She reached for his free hand but she could well understand his worry for she felt it too. How could they let Colonel Fitzwilliam leave? Under a cloud and nursing a broken heart? It was too much to bear.

"Ah, that I have not yet decided." Colonel Fitzwilliam smiled, bitterly, and adjusted his tea things on the table, lining everything up neatly. "I have no great desire to go north again, nor would I be particularly welcome if I did." He frowned and Lizzy recalled the little she had gleaned about Colonel Fitzwilliam's family home, the strained relationship with his brother. "I shall perhaps call on our aunt, Darcy." His eyes danced. "Shall I extend your greetings?"

"But -"

Colonel Fitzwilliam waved a hand, dismissing Darcy's protest before he could make it.

"Nothing is keeping me here any longer, Darcy. I came for my work, and that is now completed." His gaze travelled to Elizabeth. "I once thought I had cause to remain beyond that, but I must take Jane at her word. It would be uncouth to stay longer and confront her with my presence when I might just as easily remove myself entirely." He sighed. "That would be a kindness, I feel, for us both." This last was barely a whisper but it revealed to Elizbeth just how deeply Richard Fitzwilliam cared for her sister and how utterly broken he was by Jane's refusal. Not refusal, Lizzy reminded herself. Jane had accepted him: they were to marry. Until...

She frowned, turning matters over in her mind. Could this morning's disagreement - she could not quite bring herself to call it a duel when no weapons had been fired - truly be enough for Jane to discard the whole promise of her future? She is angry, surely, nothing more. She drew a breath, recalling that she, too, drew at least some portion of her sister's ire. Impulsively, she reached across the table to pour Colonel Fitzwilliam a second cup.

"You are not leaving immediately, though, are you?" Her question was pointed; her tone business-like and both gentlemen looked at her in surprise. Surprise, and in Darcy's case, suspicion. Elizabeth ignored them both, her mind fast at work. She had not been instrumental in the disagreement that destroyed Jane's happiness, even if her sister insisted on blaming her for it. But I shall be instrumental in repairing it.