Part 17

"What I want to know is when we might see your sister again, Mr Darcy!!"

Lydia and Kitty had barely paused long enough in their inquisition to gather breath when Mrs Bennet offered this question, neatly turning the focus of the conversation to Georgiana. It was a kind of a blessing, for Darcy had been trying vainly for several minutes to change the topic away from himself and he was so surprised that Mrs Bennet had been the one to offer him a reprieve he was rendered momentarily speechless.

"My sister? Georgiana, yes." His gaze flew to Mary, for the two were forever joined now in his mind and his memory. He recalled, to his shame, the lie he had fabricated to keep Georgiana safely at home that morning. "I know she is eager to see you all again. Miss Mary, she mentioned you this morning at breakfast, something about a piece of music."

"Oh yes!" Mary blushed. "I had promised I would run over to Longbourn with it today, but I have not yet made the journey..."

"I shall take it upon my return," Darcy promised, turning back to Mrs Bennet before he could see Mary's face fall at being prevented the opportunity to see Georgiana in person. A sharp elbow in his side brought his attention back and he glanced at Elizabeth, who nodded subtly in Mary's direction.

"You are, of course, welcome to accompany me. Or perhaps she might call on you tomorrow?"

"She is welcome any time," Mrs Bennet said, with expansive hospitality. "You must tell her so, Mr Darcy. What a shame our two homes are not closer, for I imagine you girls and she would be forever running back and forward!"

"They are not so very far," Elizabeth put in, but was soon squashed by her mother's sharp reply.

"Not far for you, Elizabeth, who considers a walk not a walk unless one returns breathless with exertion. Poor Kitty is rather too delicate -"

"Poor Kitty can make the journey quite happily when she wants to," Lydia put in, with a laugh. "Anyway, I want to know more about what Lizzy and Mr Darcy have been up to today. You must have gone out together very early!" Her eyes glinted in the hunt for gossip and Darcy shifted in his seat, only too relieved when the door to the parlour opened and Mr Bennet entered. He leapt to his feet, ready to surrender his seat to the patriarch, but Mr Bennet waved him off, selecting a chair all his own, close to the fire.

"How is Jane?" Lizzy asked, interrupting the squabble for gossip that had broken out between the two youngest Bennets. "Will she not come down?"

"Not at present." Mr Bennet sank into his chair, removing his spectacles and polishing them carelessly on his sleeve. "She is a little tired, I believe, but otherwise quite well."

His gaze met Lizzy's and Darcy witnessed some swift, silent communication between them. How he envied them this closeness. It had been many long years since his own father had died but he recalled him just then and felt the ache of mourning that still had not left him and, he feared, never would.

"How long do you plan to stay at Netherfield, Mr Darcy?" Mary asked, her voice quiet but determined amidst the chattering of the rest of her family. Darcy turned abruptly towards her, eager to give her his full attention, even though the question she asked was not easily answered.

"I am not quite sure," he confessed. "I had planned only a short visit, but with Bingley's return -"

Anticipation rippled across the room. Here, at last, had been mentioned the very man everybody wished to inquire of and yet feared to name. Inwardly, Darcy cursed himself, grateful that at least Jane remained safely upstairs and would not be unduly hurt by their conversation taking the very turn he had tried so hard to avoid.