Chapter 1

She set down the last box, stretching her arms out above her head. "Fuck, my back is killing me,"

"I told you I could help," Sinu scolded her. "Now, look at you. Stupid and in pain."

"Alright, alright, I get it. No need to be so hostile."

"I don't know how you're going to survive on your own out here," Sinu looked around the empty apartment.

Camila frowned. "I did just fine in undergrad,"

"You had a roommate for four years, mija. If you burned down the place, at least somebody would be there to help you."

"Well..." She rubbed the back of her neck nervously. "I have neighbors here. It's not like I'll be completely on my own. Dorming is more expensive, ma. You know that—you were barely making enough for those payments on top of the mortgage. At least I can cover the rent here with the money I got from my summer job."

Sinu brushed a strand of hair out of Camila's face. "Stop that. Your only job is to worry about school. Nothing else, got it?"

"Everything I do is for you," Camila relaxed into her touch. "Been bustin' my ass for over eighteen years now,"

"No, mija, you do it for yourself. So that one day you don't have to worry about mopping anybody's floors or cleaning their toilets."

"Ma..."

"I bought you something," Sinu walked over to her purse, fishing out a necklace that had a scales of justice pendant dangling from the middle. "To commemorate your acceptance to law school,"

Camila blinked away the tears that threatened to fall, waiting for her mother to finish securing the clasp around her neck before reaching up to tug at it.

"How much money did you spend on this?"

"My Christmas bonus from Richard," Sinu fixed the younger woman's hair, straightening it back out. "My little girl is worth every penny. Do you like it?"

"I love it," Camila swooped her mother up into a hug. "Thank you. For being the best woman in my life. You're superwoman, I swear."

"How about I cook you something to eat and make some cookies for your neighbors? You can bring it over and introduce yourself to them."

"I really don't think that's neces—"

"Great! Go take a shower, you smell like sweat."

Camila glared at her, mumbling something under her breath as she stormed off into her new bathroom, eager to wash away all the sweat she had accumulated from moving in.

She practically scrubbed her skin raw once she was underneath the steaming hot water, singing quietly to nobody in particular while Sinu occupied herself in the kitchen. Once she finished up, she quickly got dressed and combed out her hair before going to check on her mother.

"That was quick," Sinu added another dash of salt to the boiling pot of Ajiaco. "Did you even enjoy yourself?"

"The water pressure is kind of shit, so not really. I'll have to see if the landlord can send somebody over tomorrow morning to take a look at it."

"I just need to let the soup simmer for a little bit and then we can eat. I put all the groceries away for you already, honey."

Camila kissed the side of Sinu's head. "Thank you, but I could've done it when I got out of the shower."

"I'm not some frail old woman, Karla," Sinu pointed to one of the boxes labeled 'KITCHEN'. "Why don't you get some bowls and utensils out? Before you pass out from starvation and find a way to blame it on me."