Tʜʀᴇᴇ

Luna

My legs are pleading for me to find somewhere comfortable to sit and rest – my brain seconding that notion. I feel the mild rays of the sun tickle my skin and I sigh as it bakes me in its warmth. Cheer practice has finally come to an end for the day and every muscle in my body applauds in delight as Cynthia dismisses us. She becomes a whole other level of brutal when it comes to cheering which I find admirable, but also slightly terrifying. It is only high school cheerleading after all. My eyes wander across the field to the soccer team's training session – my gaze instantly locking with the eyes I know all too well. Despite the subtle displeasure in his stare, the love that surrounds it makes my stomach somersault. My legs intuitively journey towards him as if my heart is commanding my brain.

"I'm sorry." I blurt the second I reach him.

His resolve crumbles from those two words.

"I am sorry too." He sighs. "You know how upset I get every time I'm around him."

"I understand." I place a reassuring hand on his arm.

He wraps his arms around me in a swift motion and I let my head rest upon his chest feeling electrical bolts jump start my heart. The thing I love about my and Austin's relationship is that everything is effortlessly simple – a simple apology and a loving embracing is all it takes for us to move on, our love too strong for pettiness.

"I better finish up practice." He pulls out of the hug and delivers a dazzling smile before running off to his friends.

"You both look so cute together." I don't fail to pick up on the condescending tone. "It's what we all aspire to have."

I roll my eyes at the intrusion of peace. I can never have one moment without Hudson being there to kill the mood. He's sitting a few feet away on the bleachers casually leaning against the step behind him.

"Don't you have anything better to do?" I scornfully fold my arms across my chest and exhale through my nostrils.

"I'm avoiding Stacy." He leans his head back and squints against the harsh sun.

"Then why don't you go home?"

"I have detention." Typical. I don't bother to give a response knowing it will lead to an unnecessary back and forth dispute between Hudson and myself. He would try and rile me up and I would fall for it by letting my impulsive anger take control. He leans forward in his seat and reaches into his pockets. He pulls out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. He removes one from the box and holds it between his lips before brazenly staring into my eyes. "Want one?" He uses the side of his lips that weren't holding the cigarette to talk. He extends the nicotine pack towards me and I wrinkle my nose. It's almost as if I can smell it before it's even lit.

"No, thank you." I retort. "I care about my lungs."

"If it's not your lungs, something else is going to kill you." He shrugs. "Keep dating jockstrap and you might just die of boredom."

"I truly don't find you funny."

"I wasn't trying to be." He leans forward with a satisfied grin before lighting the cigarette and inhaling the nicotine with ease. "You need to learn to relax, Snow."

"I only get like that when I'm around you." My snide reply seems to not affect him and he leans forward even further with a crooked grin as if he's taking way too much enjoyment out of this interaction. "Yet you're still here talking to me."

I internally groan, hating that he's right but I play it stoic and square my shoulders.

"I guess that's my cue to leave." I turn and stomp away but, of course, he can never leave without having the last word.