Tᴇɴ

Luna

It's amazing how our lives can change in the blink of an eye. Everything that was once good can instantaneously become bad – something like that can truly open a person's eyes. Nothing is definite. I planned this very moment for what has felt like forever. I have spent so much effort searching for the perfect outfit, the perfect look, and I have practically had my homecoming speech drafted since freshman year. I envisioned the moment I would gracefully glide down the stairs, my parents waiting for the cliché pictures. Most importantly, I envisioned Austin standing at the bottom of the staircase with the promise of forever glimmering in his eyes. That's the sad thing about dreams – that's all they are, dreams without an ounce of reality. I got two things right in my visions. My mother greets me as I glide down the stairs, firmly clutching her phone in her hands. Second, my date is awaiting me at the front door. Just not Austin. Hudson is animatedly chatting away with my father, none of them seeming to even acknowledge my presence. I clear my throat to gain their attention.

"You look lovely." My father speaks with a wide smile.

Took you long enough, dad.

"What he said." Hudson shrugs with a smirk before holding out his hand. "Shall we?"

"Not without pictures." I deliver an arrogant smirk of my own.

I usually despise the tedious task of having to pose for my mother's millions of unnecessary pictures, but I know that it would bother Hudson. The smirk dropping from his face is worth enduring the endless pictures. My mother eventually ceases her torturous photography session, thanks to my dad insisting that we were going to be late. After embraces and farewells, we find ourselves silently trailing through my driveway. The night sky expands like the wings of a crow, the cold night tucked underneath.

"We haven't left yet, we can still back out." His voice breaks the silence as we reach his truck.

I don't speak until I'm consumed by the warmth of the heated interior of the beat-up vehicle.

"We could, but then everyone will miss seeing how good we both look tonight." My words are a lame attempt at humor, but it seems to get a smile out of Hudson. I slightly roll the window down as the damp air wafts through my nose with the promise of coming rain. I love driving at night – a peaceful time void of traffic. A carpet of stars is rolled out in the murky sky; however, the moon takes the spotlight – shining as it demands all the attention. I lean my head against the cool glass of the window as I soak in everything that has happened. If you were to tell me that Austin and I would break up at the start of senior year and I would find myself in a fake relationship with Hudson Wilder – I would have pleaded insanity. This is the first time I have truly had a moment to gather all my thoughts and catch my breath – the past few weeks have been a spiraling rollercoaster. Everything changes now.

I hear the dance before seeing it. The rambunctious sound of laughter invades my eardrums. I peer through the window. I was so in my thoughts I never even realized the car stopped moving. The walk to the gym feels like one of those cliché slow-motion strolls as I try my best to take my mind off the imminent disaster. It may just be my paranoia, but it seems as if all eyes fall on us the second that we walk through the open gym doors. I glance around the room in hopes of finding some sense of comfort – my wish is granted the second my eyes lock with Maya's. A rush of energy surges through me as I grip Hudson's wrist, dragging him towards her. I notice the smug grin on her face before we even reach her, and I roll my eyes.

"No comment." I sternly reply in her ear as we hug.

"Wasn't going to." She retorts before glancing at Hudson. "Nice suit."