Fɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ

Hudson

It feels as if someone placed a balloon in my skull and inflated it. I groan and grasp my throbbing head, thankful for the thick curtains blocking the morning sun. I clutch my duvet closer as a wave of nausea surges like high tide. However, I am hit with a wave of regret as memories of last night flood into my mind. Perhaps I was a bit presumptuous, but we've all done things we regret while intoxicated. Is that an excuse? Maybe not. Do I regret kissing Luna last night? Yes and no. I regret being so forward. I don't regret finally sharing how I feel about her. Not just through words, but actions too. However, my actions might have the direst of consequences. I may have lost Luna for good.

This is all utter bullshit.

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

I launch a tiny pebble with the tip of my boot. I revel in pride as it soars, rolling until it is no longer visible. If only I could rid my problems in the same manner as the pebble. I scoff at my exasperating thoughts. I am acting like a lovestruck fool. I have become the thing I used to ridicule. It was one of the many reasons I despised Austin Chambers. Now I have fallen under the same spell as him. It all makes sense now. Luna Delgato is too enchanting for her own good.

I take an ambitious drag of the cigarette before dropping it to the ground followed by a stomp. I have found myself smoking a lot more than usual lately, but it seems to be the only thing keeping my mind momentarily sane.

Thanksgiving is approaching which means I can only avoid Luna until then. It's always been a tradition for our family to spend the day together. Ever since my mom's passing, it's been about honoring her and the tradition. It's what your mom would have wanted. My dad reminds me every year. However, despite our many years of being enemies forced to spend the holiday together - this might be the most awkward Thanksgiving yet. In the past we could pretend the other doesn't exist, only speaking when needed, but every time I look at her I will have to relive the painful rejection. There is no getting out of the inevitable torture. I re-enter my garage with a hefty sigh. I glance at the car with my hands on my hips. This should take my mind off things. I immediately get to work wanting the time to fly by as quickly as possible. I slither under the car. Approaching footsteps echoes through the room, but I chalk it down to my dad just getting home.

"Hudson." The softly spoken voice flutters in my ears. I freeze. Luna. I do not acknowledge having heard her. I listen for her light steps to leave the room, but there is dense silence. "Hudson, I know you're here."

The footsteps become more distinct until they're right next to the car. She bends down and looks underneath, her left eyebrow raised as our eyes lock.

"Hey." My voice is taut. "I didn't hear you." I feign innocence.

"You didn't hear me in this silent room?" I sigh and roll out from under the car, but I make no effort to stand up.

"How can I help you?" I don't mean for my tone to be so unwelcoming, but I guess my mind had other ideas.

"I thought we could talk." She timidly replies.

"About?"

Her brows furrow. It's a clear indication she's getting annoyed by my nonchalance.

"Hudson, you know what." I roll my eyes with a sigh.

"Can I refuse?" I sneer.

"Of course, you can." She insists. "But it won't make the problem go away."

I internally flinch at her use of the word problem. As if my feelings are the issue. As if me voicing my thoughts is the reason that I cannot stand to be in the same room as her for longer than necessary.