Chapter 10

"Let me continue on," Chris continues, "Some more personal things about me. I love surfing and skiing, which is a bit ironic since they're both sports for the opposite weather. Do you play any sports, Will?"

"No."

This is a common strategy that people have used on me when I don't want to tell them about me. Start talking about themselves, ask a couple questions, and bam, all of a sudden I'm talking all about myself. Unfortunately for Chris, I'm not going to fall for his little tricks, although I'm surprised he thought it would work on me.

"Alright, well, maybe you'll learn to play a few sports here. I also fenced when I was a kid, I don't do that anymore though, I wasn't the best at it."

Does this guy just play bougie sports? I've never even thought about being able to ski, surf, or fence, those are rich people's sports. Well, maybe not surfing, but I still bet the boards are expensive as fuck.

"My wife and I also have two kids, my oldest is turning 4 this month, and my youngest is 2. My wife is a teacher at the local high school so you might meet her, she teaches band and orchestra if you play an instrument." He pauses for me.

"I don't," I say in return to his unasked question.

"Maybe you'll learn! Back to me though, I also love reading, so if you ever need book recommendations, you know who to come to. I also -"

"Here are your waters. I'll be out in a few minutes with your meals," The waitress says, as she moves three water from her tray to in front of us, "Is there anything else you need right now?"

"We're good, thank you," Vincent answers. She heads towards a group of teenagers who have situated themselves at the counter.

"I also love running, as you might have guessed, hiking, and just being outside. Maybe, eventually, we'll take walks during our meetings to make them more interesting, if you want," Chris suggests.

"No, I don't." I reply.

"That's fine," Chris doesn't miss a beat, "Now that we're done talking about me, it's time to talk about you."

"I don't want to."

"If you don't want to talk about yourself, I can talk about you too. I met with Becky and we discussed your history in foster care," Chris replies.

"I don't care," I say, trying to remain indifferent. Now Chris is another one of the people Becky can't seem to keep her mouth shut with.

"I also talked to Brad, your former probation officer about your criminal history," Chris continues.

"You talked to Brad?" I ask, lifting my eyes up to his.

"I did, and he told me some not-so-great things about you and your behavior. However, I like to make my own judgments of people, but unfortunately for you, your show was not the best first impression. So, why don't you raise the very low bar you've set for yourself and tell me just a little about yourself?" Chris asks in a threatening voice, leaning across the table in between us, to bring his face closer to mine.

"What do you want to know?" I ask. I don't want to get on Chris's bad side on our first meeting, but I don't know how to introduce myself. I don't think there are any fun facts about myself, at least besides the fact I'm on probation.

"What's your favorite food?" Chris asks.

"I don't know," I reply. What I want to say is that I've never really had any food that resembles good, but that sounds kinda depressing.

"Try a little harder, please," Chris responds.

"Pizza, I guess," I say, naming the first thing that pops into my head.

"Wonderful, see it's not that hard! Next question, What's your favorite animal?" Chris encourages.

"I like dogs," I reply.

"Great, me too, my family has two dogs," Chris replies, "What about your favorite sport?"

"I've never played a sport," I say, "I don't watch sports either."

"Okay, what about your favorite color?" He asks.

But, before I can answer the waitress comes back holding a tray with the food.

"Here you go, here you go, and here you go," She says placing the dishes in front of us, "Let me know if you need anything."

She smiles as Chris and Vincent thank her, then heads back to the kids at the counter.

"Favorite color?" Chris asks again.

"Green," I reply.

"What kind of green?" Chris asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused.

"What shade of green?" Chris clarifies.

"I don't know," I reply, "The normal green."

"If you could have any superpower what would it be?" Chris asks.

"Ummm... invisibility is cool, I guess," I answer.

"Nice, I would choose flying," He replies.

Shit, I should have chosen flying, maybe if I agree with him he'll like me more.

"Is there anything you want to add, now?" Chris asks.

"Not really," I respond.

"I have something I'd like to discuss with you here, actually," Vincent says, "I'm trying to make sure I have reasonable rules and guidelines for Will, and I think it would be great if all three of us could discuss this. We weren't getting very far on our own."

"Of course! This is one of the things I'm here for, I'm not just here to yell at you Will, although I get the feeling that Brad thought that's what this job is," Chris replies, "So, what rules have you come up with so far?"

"We only came up with a lights off rule of 11:30, but we barely agreed to it," Vincent answers.

"That's fine, what were your original suggestions?" Chris asks.

"I said 10 pm and Will said 1 am," Vincent responds.

"Okay, so 11:30 sounds like a good compromise to me, but it really depends on whether Will thinks it's a good compromise, since he's the one who's supposed to be following it," Chris says, "Will, do you plan on following this rule?"

"Not really," I reply.

"I thought that might be the case. Hopefully, you understand that you will have to make compromises here. I know in the past you may not have felt like you have to follow rules that have been given to you, but that's not the case here. Your dad and I both want to help you out, so please try to help us out, okay?" Chris says.

"He's not my dad," I reply.

A/N:

I just wanted to thank you guys for over 2,000 reads! It went from a couple hundred to over 2k in a week, which is insane, so thank you so much for reading!

I'm going to try and update every week (most likely on Friday), but I'm pretty busy during the week.

Also, sorry if this chapter seems shorter, it's the same length as the others, it just feels shorter to me, even though it took me a while to write.