Chapter 11

I can tell Vincent is upset by what I said, but Chris continues as if I didn't say anything.

"How about a curfew of 12:30?" Chris suggests.

"Fine," I reply.

"I don't want him going to sleep that late, it's not healthy," Vincent says.

I roll my eyes. I highly doubt he's going to approve of the many 'unhealthy' habits I've developed over the years.

"Maybe as time progresses, you guys can agree on an earlier curfew, but for now, a little compromise is a step in the right direction," Chris responds.

Chris and Vincent come up with some other rules, but I'm not really paying attention, just nodding my head or saying "Yeah" whenever they ask me something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vincent pulls the car into the driveway, and gets out, leaving me alone in my seat.

I take a second to catch my breath and go over what just happened. In less than 48 hours of living here, I've met four of my new brothers, who I didn't know existed, my biological father, who I thought was dead, and a probation officer who has the same name as Chris.

And all I've had to eat was a quarter of the burger Vincent made me get and half of a sandwich I ate because they were all watching me. I also had a full-on panic attack in front of Vincent and Chris, which was not particularly great if you ask me.

Basically, I'm absolutely exhausted. But, I need to go inside to check on Luca. The brothers seemed like they liked Luca but you can never be too sure.

I open the door of the car and step out onto the gravel driveway. As I land, my knees almost buckle underneath me, but I hold onto the handle of the door and prop myself up again.

I start walking forward, forcing my eyes to stay open although they seem insistent on closing.

God, I'm so tired. I want to lie down right here and fall asleep. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I won't wake up again.

I need something to hold onto before I collapse.

My hands search around me but I find nothing to grasp.

My eyes are seeing flashes of black, and I'm starting to panic.

I can't fall here, I need to get inside, to the room. They can't see me like this.

I need to be strong. I need to get to that goddamn door. I need to open the door and go up the stairs. I need to walk down the hallway into my room and lie down on the bed.

Not my room, I remind myself. The room they're giving me while I stay here. Soon they'll get sick of me. Hopefully, they don't get sick of Luca. As long as they keep him, I'll be fine.

I take a deep breath and try to steady myself.

Just think about your feet on the ground, I tell myself. I try to focus on the feeling of the gravel pushing through the soles of my shoes, pressing on my feet. I focus on the way each rock leaves its own spot of pain. I think about nothing but the rocks.

I slowly walk forward, only thinking about the way my feet move forward, how the gravel holds my feet as I walk. All I need to do is make it a few more steps. Then I'll be at the stairs in front of their door. I can hold onto the railings to support me. I'll be fine.

My hand grasps onto the railing and I press myself against the cool metal bar. The coldness feels so good in my hand. The rest of my body is feeling really hot all of a sudden, probably from the temperature difference.

My ribs hurt. My back hurts. Everything hurts. I'm so tired.

Don't think about that, I tell myself. Think about getting up these stairs, one step at a time.

I move my foot up to the first step. The smooth stone feels different than the harsh gravel. Good, I think, focus on that. I try to lift myself up to move my other foot up but I collapse to my knees.

Fuck.

I try to pull myself up with the railing but my arms feel like wet noodles. I let them hang by my side as I rest my head against the metal and let myself close my eyes for a second.

I'll just wait for a few moments out here, to catch my breath before I go inside. Sweat trickles down my face as I exhale. Man, it's so hot out here. I swear it wasn't this warm outside a few hours ago.

My vision goes black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I wake up, I'm lying on a bed, which is pretty weird considering my last memory was being in a car.

"He's awake," I hear someone say.

Suddenly, faces crowd my vision as they lean over me.

"Will, are you okay?" Theo asks.

"I'm fine. I'm good. Everything's fine," I reply in a husky tone. I try to sit up, but am pushed back down.

"You were passed out on the front steps, Will," Leo says, "I wouldn't say you're fine."

"I just needed a rest. I was about to come in, I'm fine." I respond.

Vincent raises his eyebrows at me.

"Really," I insist, "I'm fine."

"The doctor will be here in a couple of minutes," Kaiden says, coming into the room.

"I don't need the doctor, I'm fine," I say, shaking my head.

"You have a raging fever, you've barely eaten anything since you got here, and you just passed out," Vincent replies, "You're seeing the doctor."

A/N:

Soooooooo, I may have said that I was going to update every Friday, and then not done that the week after. 

But, in my defense I've had a super busy week, I've had so many tests and projects that I've had to do and study for. 

Plus, for some reason, this chapter was really hard for me to figure out what I wanted to happen (Full disclosure: I am making this up as I go)

Also, thank you so much for all the reads and votes! It means a lot that people are enjoying my story, because I've been enjoying writing it!