18: Shake Off The Dust

There's a reason that Mr. Aizawa made Sanyu so nervous.

It might look on the outside like he didn't like the man or that he reminded him of someone, but really it was just plain and simple fact that pushed the boy away from his actually super nice teacher.

Sanyu didn't have a quirk.

No matter what the paperwork said, he didn't have one. His powers weren't Star Burst, they were nameless energy absorption and expulsion abilities he got when an intern decided to fuck with a 50 million dollar piece of scientific equipment.

So what this meant was that Mr. Aizawa's quirk didn't actually work on Sanyu. He had to pretend it did though, to prevent his cover from being blown.

That's why he was always looking at him and waiting for him to do something. He needed to know when to stop using his powers so it looked like he had a quirk.

Now, you may be wondering, why is this being explained now?

Well that's because Sanyu messed up.

They were practicing, pushing their limits on the first day of the training camp. Mr. Aizawa had told Sanyu to try to create beams without the gloves. Basically to concentrate the energy blasts from his hands.

It was something he had wanted to practice for a while, so he was fine with that.

But then Mr. Aizawa noticed that he looked hurt and used his quirk on him to make him stop.

But Sanyu was a second too late.

The more he used his powers the more conscious he was of the energy he had absorbed from the bomb. Without his suit on it physically hurt to contain the energy.

It also meant that he was slow when it came to shutting off his powers. He had never really had to before, his missions didn't require much subtly anymore.

The teacher raised an eyebrow to him, obviously questioning what had just happened.

"Yes, sir?" Sanyu asked, playing dumb. The teacher looked him up and down. He must have seen something, some weakness that Sanyu couldn't hide, because he just sighed.

"Don't push yourself too hard. If it hurts you can take a break." He said, "We can talk about that later.". Sanyu nodded and grabbed his water bottle. He took a drink and pushed his bangs out of his face.

His hair was getting really long. Typically, he buzzed it after 6 months, when it started becoming a problem. His hair had always grown quickly, but something about getting his powers had made it grow even faster.

It was currently brushing his shoulder, nearly 'Winter Soldier' length, as he called it in his head. Of course no one else would know what he was talking about because those movies and comics didn't exist here.

Sanyu sighed. He couldn't wait to go to sleep already and it wasn't even lunch time. Haemon's dimension, it was middle ground. Peace and quiet with the added bonus of a conversation partner that understands what its like to have been in the Six.

------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- --------- ----------

"How do you know how to do everything except cook?" Midoriya joked.

"I can't do everything." He defended. They were working as a group to cook dinner and while some people (Bakugou) were shocking everyone with their cooking skills, some people were a little underwhelming. For some reason the class thought both Todoroki and Sanyu would be good at cooking.

"You kind of can." The boy continued, "You can fly, you shoot energy beams, you play all these weird games, you're fluent in English, you're tall and you're strong too.". Sanyu felt himself get a little red from the praise.