38: Resolute Pt. 2

"Hiya guys!" Ectoplasm said as he approached the circle of people in the center of the large, gym mat covered room. "This is my student, Oyama Sanyu. He's in the hero program and he's taking the afternoon off to come hang out with you guys!".

There were a lot of questions after that, mostly shouted by kids, but some murmured by parents.

"Is he-does he have a disabil-disable-" One of the younger kids struggled with the word. Ectoplasm just smiled.

"He does. Do you want to explain Sanyu?" The teacher asked.

"I lost my left leg from the mid thigh down nearly a year ago." He explained, "I have a prosthetic that allows me to walk and run.".

"Can we see?!" A girl, who had a light green prosthetic that matched her hair on her right arm. Sanyu obliged and rolled his pant leg up to just above the knee.

"Woah." A couple of the kids said. "Is that attached to you?" "Are you a robot?!" "No he's a cyborg!" "Are you a cyborg?!".

Sanyu was reminded of his conversation with Mirio. "Yes, I am. The definition of cyborg is much looser than I thought.".

That only seemed to make the kids more excited, until one kid started coughing mid question and his dad rushed over to him, smiling apologetically as the kid continued to try to get the question out. Sanyu admired the determination. So Ectoplasm attempted to calm everyone down at least a little.

"So, do you have your license yet?" One of the mothers asked. Sanyu nodded.

"I just got my provisional license" He said, "I'm working at a work study right now.". She nodded and smiled widely.

"I'm glad he finally found a hero student. They've been begging to meet one for a while, but it doesn't seem like there are a lot of hero students with disabilities out there." She said sheepishly. Sanyu nodded.

"I'm not even the only one in my class." He said, shocking her. He didn't elaborate on the fact Bakuogu had hearing aids because the woman seemed like she was going to think about that for a good minute.

"Shall we get started?" Ectoplasm said, clapping his hands together. The kids called out 'yeah!' in unison. They had probably done this a ton of times before. "Our first game is freeze tag. Do you all know the rules?".

"Yeah!" The kids called out again. Sanyu really hoped his world's freeze tag held up here. "Great! Sanyu's going to be 'it' first, so you have 30 seconds to run!" He called out. The kids erupted in squeals and moved away from him, abandoning the circle.

Sanyu looked at his teacher with fear in his eyes. "I'm going to hurt them." He said, his tone wavering. Ectoplasm smiled kindly.

"Your bunny, not the dog named Bunny, is the real bunny. Have you ever hurt them?" He asked. Sanyu shook his head vehemently. He would never hurt Captain! "Then you'll be able to not hurt them.". He turned back to the room. "30 seconds are up! You'd all better be ready!".

Sanyu looked around at the little hidey homes and monkey bar-like structures.

After only a few minutes it was very clear Sanyu didn't know the first thing about kids.

They were new territory. He wasn't around them at all for the past three years. The closest he had gotten was saving children, and then he was barely with them for a few minutes before something else needed his attention.

But he had learned one good strategy.

The tag game had been changed up to where the tagged had to put a foot in a circle when they were touched and someone had to then tag them out of the circle before they could leave.