39: Is Prophecy A Gift?

Class 1-A was sitting around in class when Bakugou and Todoroki arrived at the same time.

"Bro what happened to your face?" Kirishima asked with a grin. The blond's face was covered in bandages. He glared at his friend.

"Shut it shitty hair." He grumbled.

Mina looked over at their other classmate. "No way! Todoroki too? They're ruining all the handsome faces in this class!" She said dramatically, "At least we still have Oyama!".

Sanyu tilted his head, confused. Then he turned to the girl. "Am I handsome?" He asked, confused.

"The fact he doesn't know just makes it better!" Mina said, pretending to swoon.

"Your make-up course must be running you ragged." Kaminari observed. Todoroki nodded.

"It's difficult but it's going well." He said, taking his seat. Sanyu looked the boy over. He wondered what it was like being a pro hero's kid. Especially Endeavor's.

Sanyu couldn't say he liked Endeavor, although it was equal parts seeing his attitude on tv and the fact his quirk was similar to Clementine's powers. He was struggling to separate all fire from being associated with her. But Keigo seemed to like the guy enough.

"How's everyone's work study going?" Sero asked, changing the topic.

"Oh yeah! What's it like working with All Might's former sidekick Midoriya?" Ojirio asked. Midoriya didn't answer though. He seemed completely lost in thought. Sanyu understood that feeling. It had been hard to think since letting Eri go.

48 hours was nearly up too, so Sanyu was tense in anticipation for something resembling a mission.

"Are you feeling alright?" The black haired boy asked quietly. Midoriya looked up at him and smiled weakly. That was a no, then. "We'll save her." He said resolutely.

Midoriya didn't look too sure, but he nodded nonetheless, his face even more determined than before.

------ -------- ------- ------- ------- ---------- -------- ------- ----------

Later that day Midoriya managed to track down All Might while he was on a run.

"Woah kid slow down!" The older man called out. Midoriya skidded to stop and took a few deep breaths.

"I need to talk to you!" He said between pants. "Nighteye-he understands how One for All works and he wanted you to pass it on to Togata, not me.".

All Might turned slightly away so his expression was unreadable. "Why didn't you tell me?" The boy asked, looking up at his mentor.

"I didn't think it was my place." Toshinori answered honestly.

"Of course it was!" Midoriya shouted back, "All of this-everything-it's all coming at me at once! And I don't know how to feel about it! I need to know everything. Not as your fan but as your successor!".

His breathing was still ragged by the end of his little speech. All Might looked at the ground. "I didn't think this information would help you." He said honestly, "But if you feel you must know, I'll tell you everything.".

He explained it all. How Nighteye became his sidekick, how they worked together for years and his first battle with All For One.

Then, suddenly, he stopped.

"Nighteye and I got into an argument at the hospital." He explained, "He told me to retire while I was a legend, to have a good life and pass the mantle on to someone else."

'Just get a cheerful and strong replacement!' Nigtheye had insisted.

'And who will be the symbol of peace until I find someone like that?' He had shot back, 'even if All For One is beaten without me people will fear for their lives every day.'.