2

Every time Bradley met another man and his family, she was nervous. It always felt like a game. And it was a game that no one would win. Bradley would go home alone, like always. Her mother would be disappointed. And the bachelor and his family would have to move on.

Bradley thought that it was ridiculous and pretentious of everyone and herself to entertain such an outdated tradition. If her mother had the will, she'd have an arranged marriage for Bradley. If only Bradley was a submissive daughter.

When Bradley acknowledged the people walking towards her, she felt her anxiety attempting to take control of her mood. But growing up with Polly as her mother, Bradley found ways to hide her emotions, sometimes too much.

"It's so nice to finally meet you." An older woman pulled Bradley into a hug. "Your mom's told me a lot about you."

Bradley stepped out of the hug, and stretched her hand to the man who stared at her with a presumptuous smile. "I'm sure you know my name already," Bradley said.

He embraced her hand with his. "Yes. Got the handbook before we got here."

Bradley could see the charm dripping off of his shoulders. He was good looking, in the opinion of many. But what caught Bradley's attention was the young girl standing next to him.

"I'm Bradley," she regarded the girl with her name.

"Taylor," her voice was low and shy.

Bradley smiled. She purposely disregarded Taylor's brother. "So what brings you on this family date?" Bradley asked, as she stepped away from the crowd, the girl following her.

Bradley could already feel her mother's blazing eyes on her back. And as always, she'd disregard it.

"Lots of persuasion. I think my mom really wants you to like him."

I turned my attention back to the small crowd, as they exchanged pleasantries. "That'll take a lot more whiskey than we have in storage," Bradley said. She studied her mother's formal composure, wondering if she'd ever seen her mother relaxed. Never, she thought. Polly was the most uptight person in the family. And her only child and heir to her reputation would never be the elegant woman Polly hoped for.

"Get to know him. He might change your mind," the girl said.

Bradley stared at her again, taking in her long, blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. "Can anyone change your mind—what's your name? I didn't catch it."

"Taylor. I only now said it," she smiled softly.

Bradley narrowed her eyes on the strap of Taylor's dress, wondering what it would feel like to tug on it. "Beautiful just like you," Bradley whispered.

"Let's get seated, shall we?" Polly called across the room. Bradley sucked in her dignity and walked into the dining room. And for the hundredth time that night, she asked herself why she always put up with her mother's matchmaking.

Bradley watched as Taylor sat beside her mother. She already knew who would be sitting either beside or across from her. And she wasn't sure if she could put up with entertaining a conversation with him.

It's not that Bradley didn't like men in general. But there was something unique about a man who thought that he could woo her into becoming his girlfriend.

The questions he threw her way irritated her more than anything else. Bradley kept taking glances at his sister, wondering if she was thinking about her too.

"Bradley, are you listening to him?" Polly asked irritatedly at one head of the table. Frank sat silently at his end, slowly eating and mindlessly looking around every now and then. He'd learned to zone out of conversations in the thirty two years he'd been married to his wife. His opinion hardly mattered anyway, as long as his finances were exceeding expectations.

Polly didn't pay much mind to her husband. Her focus was always on her daughter and the life she led. "Somewhat," Bradley answered. Her half-heartedness created an awkwardness at the table.

"Bradley!" Her mother's voice stung her ears.

"I should get going. Got a lot of work to catch up on," Bradley said.

"It's seven at night, Bradley. Why must you always do this?"

Bradley stood and stepped behind her chair. "Why must you always set me up with men that I have no interest in? It's exhausting. And I think everyone can do something better with their time."

Polly slowly inhaled a deep breath, trying to calm herself down from having an argument with her daughter. "Just sit and eat, please? Get through dinner, for me?" Her mother's pleading eyes didn't do much to convince Bradley. But when she looked at Taylor, she had a sudden urge to stay.

"I'm sorry. Work's been stressful lately." Bradley came up with a vague excuse for her behavior. "What's your name again?" She asked him.

"Jacob," he mumbled. Bradley could tell that she'd knocked on his ego. And almost felt bad for him. It couldn't be easy for him to deal with his mother setting him up with women. Bradley didn't know his feelings on the topic. But she did know hers. And she knew she hated it.

"Jacob, tell me about your family."

He looked towards his mother and sister. It made Bradley wonder about his father. Were they estranged or could he not make it that night?

"What would you like to know?" His eagerness seemed defeated. Bradley couldn't hold it against him. She made it clear that she was and would never be into him. And that must have stung.