4

1 week later

"Bradley, what are you doing here?" Polly regarded her daughter, as she walked into the kitchen.

"Mom, you can't still be mad."

"Mad? You think I'm mad? I'm frickin' furious. I've never felt more embarrassed in my—"

"Mom, save it." Bradley rose her hand. "You know what's embarrassing? You setting me up with idiots. That's fucking embarrassing."

Polly gripped the counter. "Instead of getting to know Jacob, you were off with his sister every chance you got. What am I supposed to think, Bradley? Are you that desperate to embarrass me that you'll—"

"Flirt with a woman? Is that what you're getting at?"

Polly sucked in a frustrated breath. Bradley crossed her arms over her chest. "Why do you hate me so much? All I want is for you to be happy. I want you to have a good life."

"I don't hate you. I hate what you make me do. I'm not a kid, Mom. I don't have to do anything you say. Yet I try to. And it takes all the self-respect I have for myself to do so."

"You're ashamed of me trying to find someone to love and take care of you? That's how you see it?"

"Mom, please." Bradley clenched her fists. "I will never be interested in your choices. And we both know why. You've known since I brought my friend in high school over for your birthday. And you've known when you found me in bed with someone spooning."

"Bradley, that's just you trying to piss me off. You're not—"

"Not everything I do is to piss you off, Mom. And I don't try to piss you off. Me just being who I am pisses you off. Maybe you should have had a damn abortion if you're so disappointed in me!"

"Bradley, stop." Polly raised her hand.

"No, let me get this out there, loud and clear. I'm not attracted to men. I never have been. I've dated women since I was in high school. I'm a lesbian. And you have to deal with it."

"You're unbelievable." Polly placed her hand against her forehead, frustrated. "I refuse to believe that."

"Have I ever brought a boy home? Have you ever noticed me smiling at someone that doesn't have a vagina?"

"Bradley, stop with the dirty language."

"What? Vagina's a dirty word now? I'm so sick of you pretending to not see what's right in front of you."

"Your dad's not going to be happy about this. What will he think—"

"Then fuck him too. Fuck you both. You two might have the worse relationship I've ever seen. So don't judge me, Mom."

"Why are you being so rude? Have we not given you everything you've ever wanted? Given you a great education? A great career?"

"I'm grateful. I'll always be grateful. But that doesn't mean you can try to control me for the rest of my life!"

"I'm your mother—"

"And yet you judge me." Bradley pointed her finger at Polly. "You might have given me everything, but you never really liked me. Maybe you should adopt a daughter that will appreciate and listen to your every word, because that'll never be me."

Bradley turned away with tears in her eyes. She briskly walked out of the house, not giving her mother a chance to say another word. But Polly was left speechless. They both had tears in their eyes. And when Bradley got into her car, she swore that she'd never let her mother control her again.