August, 1971

A smooth voice sounded in her ear

A smooth voice sounded in her ear. "Careful, it's known to bite."

Petunia startled and instinctively shook off the other person's hand before turning around. Her vigilance was raised as she scrutinised the boy that had suddenly appeared behind her with obvious distrust.

Compared to the teenager she encountered earlier he was quite a bit younger, maybe a year or two older than herself. He also didn't look arrogant or mean-spirited, having warm brown eyes and a mop of unruly golden curls, but Petunia was never one to let herself be fooled by appearances. Taking another glance at his windswept hair and crooked collar the word 'unkempt' flashed through her head.

Telling her a book would bite ... Why would he try to trick her? Did something she do give away her status as a non-magical person?

The boy must have noticed the suspicions in her sharp gaze, but instead of backing off, a mischievous smile stretched his lips. Petunia noted that his mouth was quite wide. "Don't believe me? Then don't blame me if you lose a finger."

Petunia hesitated, still stuck on one thought. What would the boy gain from humiliating her? Were his friends waiting around the corner, ready to laugh at her if she made the wrong decision?

She had never once forgotten that this was after all a magical bookstore. Maybe the book would actually bite her, or it would curse her ... or the boy simply wanted to see her cower in fear in front of a harmless heap of leather and paper and amuse himself with this 'muggle'.

Seeing that she hadn't relaxed, the boy sighed as if Petunia had troubled him. "Alright, I wouldn't want to see a mutilation happen just after breakfast. I never had a strong stomach."

Before Petunia could react he unwound the grey scarf from around his neck, his hair tousling even more in the process. Wrapping it around his hand a few times, he shot Petunia a wink before quickly grabbing the book without a second's hesitation.

What happened next made the blood freeze in Petunia's veins. Sounds of tearing fabric shattered the serene atmosphere - sharp teeth, hidden underneath the book flap before, had burrowed into the boy's scarf-wrapped hand, ripping through the soft material. Just imagining it being her skin instead of the grey wool ...

"Alright, enough of that." Not the least disturbed, the boy raised his other, unprotected hand and lovingly glided his fingers along the book's spine. The change was immediate: the teeth which were just a second ago determinedly gnawing to reach the boy's flesh suddenly stopped and the book placidly flipped open.

Petunia felt as if her breath wasn't reaching her lungs anymore. She shouldn't panic, she should never openly show weakness, especially not in front of a stranger ...

The boy perused a few lines of the book before clicking his tongue. "All this trouble for this. Why would anyone bother?"

Petunia was forcefully swallowing her breath, urging it to reach her lungs. Nothing had happened after all. Her hands were fine, the strange boy was the one holding the book. But her eyes glided over the stacked shelves all around her and a heavy feeling of oppression settled on her shoulders. What other horrors were hidden among this seemingly harmless collection of books?