December, 1971

"Petals? Wait up

"Petals? Wait up." A warm hand grasped her fingers and Petunia froze mid-step despite herself.

Don't be fooled ...

Eugene stepped in front of her, chocolate brown eyes searching her own. "Are you alright? Do you feel unwell?"

Petunia stared back at him, her insides so tangled up into a mess she herself didn't know how to feel. Part of her was glad that he came after her, while another part of her was scared because of that same gladness.

"You've turned quite pale. Is it the crowd?" Looking around, Eugene suddenly leaned forward, his face inches from her own. "Let me tell you a secret: I hate it too."

Petunia blinked, too unsettled by his closeness to follow her own twisted thoughts. "You do?"

"Yeah. Whenever my father would get recognized in public, people would swarm towards him, asking him all kinds of questions. It was quite scary when I was no taller than the average knee."

"Your father?"

Eugene clicked his tongue in mock disappointment. "You already forgot? I thought he was the main reason you even wrote to me. 'Dear Eugene Scamander ...'"

Petunia frowned. "I would never use such a sugary tone of voice."

Eugene grinned. "Who knows?"

"I know that it will never happen."

"Wanna bet?"

Petunia narrowed her eyes and Eugene lifted his hands in surrender, finally letting go of Petunia's hand. "Alright, apologies. Are you feeling a bit better?"

Petunia just opened her mouth to refute him, when she had to pause. Her stomach felt less tense and twisted up. It was almost as if even these few sentences had managed to distract her from her worries.

How was this possible? He was the main reason for her worries, he couldn't be the cure at the same time.

Not getting an answer, Eugene continued: "If not, sugar always does the trick. Just a second."

Bending down, Petunia noticed the trunk resting by his feet for the first time. It looked a bit old but was fabricated with enough quality to stand the test of time. Eugene whispered something and the clasp holding it closed suddenly sprang open before a squashed paper bag slowly wiggled out from the slight gap.

"What ...?"

"Bertie Bott's All Flavor Beans. Just a snack, but better than nothing." Eugene grasped the folded bag and plucked it from the suitcase while Petunia watched the clasp close without any outward assistance. "But let me warn you, there are some surprise-flavours in here."

Petunia finally lifted her gaze from the suitcase. "What does that mean?"

"Well ... some might taste like vomit or - " He affected a shudder "- spinach."