𝟏𝟖. 𝐌𝐑. 𝐍𝐎 𝐍𝐄𝐂𝐊

John B and Elle walked silently down the dock, their matching white sneakers hitting the old wood with a creak.

When inside the Chat, Elle went to set her green, canvas bag on the ground, not even noticing the ghastly figure sitting down on the couch.

John B grabbed a cereal box as the foster lady they knew of as; Mrs. Cheryl, spoke up.

"Hey guys!" She piped. Although her tone was cheerful, she looked annoyed, all knowing that the two wouldn't go down without a fight.

The brunette boy rolled his eyes dramatically as Elle stepped up next to him. "You know, Cheryl, it's kinda' a bad time for a check-in." He sighed.

Mrs. Cheryl just shook her head at the two friends. Her tounge clicked on the roof of her mouth as she glared at the stubborn boy. "Not a check-in. We're here to take you both."

Elle's eyes went wide as she looked at John B, who was already sitting, with his head down on the table. She stood behind him, her hands gripped onto the chair that he sat in.

"Seriously?" Elle questioned. A raise in her damaged voice signaling the hurt from the lack of gold they found mere hours earlier.

John B ran his hands through his hair. "Today? Really?"

The lady only shook her head. "It's just for a few weeks until John's hearing. Until then, we've decided to let you both stay in the same home, similar to siblings. It's what both of your parents wanted."

Elle raised an eyebrow at that statement. "What? Our parents..aren't currently here." She retorted, hesitating on using the right words.

Cheryl took out a paper and shook it, causing John B to roll his eyes. "Stated in Brady Fredrick Wright's will..." She started. Elle winced at the mention of his name. John B grabbed her hand that was hovered above him in attempts to reassure her.

"...if anything were to happen to me, or my wife, Lorelai Rose Wright, we leave Elle Blue Wright in custody of Big John Routledge." Cheryl finished.

The woman repeated a similar will for John B, but stating that if anything were to happen to him, he'd be in custody of Lorelai and Brady.

Elle stood, trembling at the revelation. The two best-friends were to be treating like siblings, meaning that they could be sent into foster care together.

Somehow, that made things a little better. Well, for Elle anyways.

"Look, we aren't going into foster care, okay?" John B stated, completely ignoring what they had just been told . "We aren't going to be apart of your little system." He mimicked.

A radio beep behind the two, caused Elle to jump. They turned their heads to see a large man who, according to John B, had no neck.

"Elle and John B, this is Deputy Thomas." Cheryl started, her voice like booming thunder to the two children. "He works with juveniles for the sheriff's department."

John B quickly stood up and walked away from the table, pulling Elle with him.

The woman continued pestering them, instead of reassuring the damaged teens. "Look, I know Uncle T is down in Mississippi working at a casino." She started, motioning towards the taller boy. "He hasn't been here in months."

"What?" John B scoffed, trying to play it cool.

Cheryl turned towards Elle, who was leaned against the wall next to John B. "And well...we've left you off the hook for a few days. You should have been taken as soon as you were released from the hospital. Sheriff Peterkin threw you a bone."