𝟑𝟐. 𝐅𝐔𝐋𝐋 𝐊𝐎𝐎𝐊

"We'll wait for your signal." John B said as the three girls stood, ready to go into the house.

He pulled on Sarah's arm and looked up at her, Elle swore she could see little hearts in his eyes. "Be safe. You too, Elle."

Sarah looked back and nodded. "We will."

After they walked away, JJ pulled Pope in, they were face-to-face. "Be safe." He mocked.

"I'll be so safe. I'll be safe for you." Pope replied, whispering.

John B rolled his eyes. "Can you guys stop? Stop! I'm gonna kill you."

"But how would that keep us safe?"

—————

Elle held her flashlight forward as she glanced around the house, slowly making her way to the front porch.

"She must have a generator plugged into the mail power supply." Sarah said, moving leaves and branches away from her face.

They walked up the stairs cautiously as they reached the power box. Kiara carefully took off the cover.

"Where are the breakers?" Elle asked, her eyes going wide. "They— They should be here."

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no." Sarah whispered, panic filling her voice.

Kie looked up at the roof. "Shit." She dragged her voice out as her eyes followed the wire that crossed the wooden planks. "It goes inside."

She carefully turned the doorknob, then she took a small step into the house. The door creaked as Elle followed behind, only glancing back for a quick second.

As soon as they got to the staircase, a cat screeched and ran across some glass mugs, forcing a clinking sound. The girl's looked around at each other, completely frozen until the noises stopped.

Cautiously, the kept walking through the house. Until Kie found the box. She smiled proudly as Elle held up a flashlight for her.

She slowly switched off the generator, wincing each time it made any remote noises. When the motion light outside finally was off, the boys stood up, ready to go inside.

Just as the boys got into the basement, Kie, Sarah, and Elle heard a whirring sound from behind them. They gasped, leaning back against a wall in fear.

Their breathing was shaky as a grandfather clock struck in the other room.

"Shit." Elle mumbled, looking around the room. She grabbed Kiara's arm as she shook, frightful of making too much noise. "Is she awake?"

Kiara shrugged as she held her breath. It seemed like the noises had stopped, until they heard footprints coming from the upstairs.

"We're gonna get murdered!" Elle whispered, her eyes wide. "You heard what JJ—."

Kie clamped her hand over Elle's mouth. "JJ is a liar. You know this. Shut up."

They all put their hands to their mouths when Mrs. Crain walked by them, too old and partially blind to see that they were practically inches away from her.

"I can hear you, Leon..." The old lady whispered, looking forward.

Elle whimpered as she was almost past them. She thought she hadn't seen them. She was very wrong.

"I've been waiting all night!" Mrs. Crain screeched, turning and looking directly at the three girls.

Sarah screamed as they all took each other's hands. They ran through the house, panting heavily as they got split up.