CHAPTER 1

SAWYER

I had never met anyone like her.

That was the excuse I wanted to use when Xander Sullivan asked me if I tended to make it a habit to fall in love on the job.

I wasn't surprised that Derek Collins told him and in a way, I'm glad he did because I know it's not something I should hide from a potential new employer that is looking for a bodyguard for his sister, but the question still felt like a punch in the gut.

It was a reminder that I messed up and now that was going to follow me around. I've always taken great pride in my professionalism. I've always taken any job serious, even when I was working at a fast food restaurant when I was in high school. There was no one more precise in making cheeseburgers than me. The years I spent in the military and the secret service only disciplined me more.

So as I looked at Xander Sullivan that day, I knew I couldn't excuse my lack of professionalism during my last assignment. Xander Sullivan is a serious businessman. He's the famous billionaire, the CEO of his own multi-billion company and I didn't know him at all on the day he interviewed me but by the bluntness in his question, I could tell that he likes things to be told as they are. He doesn't mess around and he had a look on his face that would make anyone think twice before lying or playing games with him and I needed the job. I was in no position to mess this opportunity up.

The Sullivans are not just a very popular family, they're also powerful and influential. Xander Sullivan is the oldest of the siblings and naturally, he took over the Sullivan company after the tragic death of their parents. I already knew about the Sullivans but when Derek called to tell me about the job opportunity, I did more research so I could know everything I could about them.

Sebastian Sullivan, the famous actor, is the second to oldest of them and he's followed by Kendra Sullivan—she was who Xander was looking a bodyguard for. Cameron Sullivan is the youngest brother, he is the lead singer of his boyband, and then there's Brianna Sullivan, who was sixteen at the time of their parents' death and whom Xander Sullivan took custody of.

Everyone knows the Sullivans and I had already burned the torch with one influential family, I knew I couldn't mess this up.

This was almost like a shot to redeem myself. A chance to prove to myself and everyone else that I'm still the disciplined and professional man I've always been.

"What happened during my last assignment shouldn't have happened," I said to Xander Sullivan that day. "I take full responsibility for it. I was never tempted in any way by Mrs. Collins." I paused, wanting to be careful with my words. "She's an extraordinary woman and I have a lot of respect for her and her husband. That's why I decided to get myself out of the equation."

Xander leaned back against his chair as he studied me. "You didn't answer my question," he finally said.

"I made a mistake," I said. "But I never make the same mistake twice."

He nodded slowly and then he glanced at his computer screen. "You obviously have a great resume and knowing that Derek is recommending you despite your history with them really says a lot about you."

"I do my job well, sir," I said. "And I take my assignments very seriously."

He looked at me. "Listen, I'm not going to sugar coat my sister. A simply search on the internet will tell you about the wild life that she has," he said. "And I want to be honest—she's so bad that I haven't been able to find a bodyguard willing to work with her."

"I worked with Zoe Evans before I worked with the Collins," I said. "I'm sure you know that she's an actress so I'm familiar with the busy schedules they have. I adapt well and don't mind staying busy at all."