CHAPTER 10

KENDRA

I wake up to the sound of my alarm and my eyes feel very heavy when I try to open them.

I reach out to my nightstand and feel around for my phone and when I don't find it, I force myself to sit up. I wince because my head is suddenly thumping in pain.

I look down and when I see my purse, I reach inside for my phone. The sound of my alarm is only making my head want to explode and I stop it quickly. It's five in the morning and I know there's no way I can get back in bed no matter how much I want to.

I sit there for a moment, trying to get my eyes to stay open. My head is killing me and I suddenly remember how much I had to drink last night. I think about the unpleasant time I had with Jace. Everything that happened after I left his hotel room begins to slowly creep back into my head and I freeze for a moment.

No way.

There is no way I said all of those things to Sawyer.

What the hell was I thinking?

I cringe as I think about everything I said to him. I remember every word and I remember everything I did or at least try to do.

My head feels like it wants to explode and it's not just because of the hangover anymore.

I look up and when I turn my head, I lock eyes with Sawyer.

He's sitting on the sofa and I can feel him study me as I look at him. I feel embarrassed about everything I said to him last night but I also feel angry at myself. Why the hell would I say those things to him? To anyone?

I really told him Jace doesn't satisfy me and I confessed to him that the other night when we were together was the best sex that I've had in months. What is wrong with me?

I've been drunk around him before and last night was the first time I decided I was going to say everything I was thinking. Why? God. I'm so stupid. This is so embarrassing.

"Sawyer," I finally say as I stand up and he stands up with me. "What are you doing in my room?" I ask him, trying to put the wall back up between us.

He looks at me. "You don't remember what happened last night?"

I lower my gaze for a moment, feeling embarrassed and angry, and then I nod slowly as I look up at him. "I do," I say then I narrow my eyes at him. "I remember you not wanting to be here."

"Kendra—"

"Please leave." I interrupt. "You should've left last night."

He looks at me for a moment and I can almost see the disappointment on his face. I cross my arms on my chest and when he takes a step forward, I take one back.

"Don't come any closer," I say to him.

"I stayed because you wanted me to," he says as he looks at me. "I know you know that."

I purse my lips, almost wishing the earth could swallow me right now. I wish I could go back to last night and stop myself from drinking. I only did it because I was trying to have a good time. I was trying to forget but it's almost as if I was drinking some sort of truth serum because there is no way I would've said any of the things I said last night if I would've been sober.

"That was a mistake," I say to him. "Forget everything I said."

I suddenly remember how much I begged him to kiss me and how he rejected me and it takes every bit of self-control not to cringe.

Sawyer actually rejected me.

My bodyguard turned me down.

Why are my feelings hurt?