thirty.

VAL WAS CURLED around Annabeth while she was on the laptop that that one inventor had given her before they'd met as she caught her up on everything that had happened.

Val hummed when Annabeth was done with her story. "Cool. So we're not going to any more aquariums this quest?"

"Probably not," the blonde turned to look at her and smiled. "You're so cute when you're wrapped up like that around me."

Turning red, Val thought about the guy that she'd screwed earlier, and how his dick had felt inside her. That made her turn even more red. Nothing would ever feel like Annabeth, which just sucked.

"Shut up," Val finally mumbled, wrapping herself up so she didn't have to look at Annabeth, feeling guilty for no reason.

"Hey, are you okay?" A hand was on Val's back, which traveled up into her hair. "You've been talking to the sky. And you've been acting weird. More wistful."

She closed her eyes, relishing the feel of being close to Annabeth. "I have a guardian angel," she murmured.

"Why do you think I'm here?" Annabeth let out a little laugh.

Val laughed, uncurling herself and turning her head so she could look at Annabeth. "Haha. But, uh, I saw Ethan today."

Annabeth's smile faded. "Oh. Are you okay?"

"Of course I am!" Val closed her eyes for a second. "He's just . . . I miss him. He was my best friend, after all."

"Yeah." Annabeth's voice caught on a cough, and Val frowned, but shook it off. "Did you go somewhere with him then? To Japan again?"

"I wish I went to Japan," Val opened her eyes, looking up at Annabeth, who was staring down at her. "It's so pretty, Annie, you should go there. He brought me shopping, though. And there was a club nearby."

Annabeth bit her lip, before leaning down to kiss Val, who sighed and lazily went with the kiss.

"Wait, Annie," Val pulled away. "Your boyfriend's literally here—"

A knock on the door made them both jump, and Frank poked his head in.

"Um, sorry," he said. "Could I—?"

"Sure," Annabeth said. "Yes."

He stepped inside, looking around the cabin. There wasn't much to see. On Annabeth's desk sat a stack of books, a journal and pen, and a picture of her dad flying his Sopwith Camel biplane, grinning and giving the thumbs-up.

Hanging from a hook on the wall was her New York Yankees cap, which Val hadn't seen her wear, actually. Otherwise, her cabin was bare.

"So . . . Frank," Annabeth ventured. "What can I do for you? Or are you seeing Tina? Everyone likes her."

Val laughed softly. "I'm just approachable. And I like talking to people."

Frank blushed and pulled his Chinese handcuffs out of his pocket.

"I don't like being in the dark about this," he muttered. "Could you show me the trick? I didn't feel comfortable asking anyone else."

Frank was embarrassed. Leo had been razzing him pretty hard. Nobody liked being a laughingstock. Frank's determined expression said he never wanted that to happen again. He wanted to understand the puzzle, without the iguana solution. Val made a mental note to tell Leo to stop.

Annabeth patted the bunk near her. "Absolutely. Sit down."

Frank sat on the edge of the mattress, as if preparing for a quick escape, and the mattress sank down from their weight. Annabeth took the Chinese handcuffs and held them next to her computer, hitting a key. A few seconds later a 3-D model of the Chinese handcuffs appeared on the screen. She turned the laptop so that Frank could see.