𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

/ DEFYING THE ODDS /

13. BURNED AT THE STAKE.

               ELEANOR SAT IN FRONT OF HER VANITY, BRUSHING HER HAIR before Anne stormed in unannounced. This abrupt action caused Eleanor to jump, placing her hand over her chest.

"Anne, you startled me."

"I'm sorry, my lady," Anne panted, worry evident in her eyes.

Eleanor stood from her seat as she made her way to console her maidservant. "Is there something wrong?"

"Merlin and I saw the guards dragging Gwen into the palace," Anne revealed. "We rushed to tell you and Arthur."

Without another word, she and Anne hurried to the throne room, meeting with Merlin and Arthur on the way. The siblings looked at each other knowingly before bursting through the doors, witnessing Gwen kneeling before their father.

"What is the meaning of this?" Arthur exclaimed, stopping beside Gwen.

"This poultice was found under your pillow," Uther unveiled, handing it to his son. "It's some kind of love charm. You're under its spell."

Arthur scoffed. "That is a ridiculous accusation."

"How would you know?" Uther interrogated.

"Because I know how I feel," he blustered, having enough of his father's behavior toward the woman he fell in love with. "I'm not enchanted."

"So can you tell me how it came to be in your room?"

"I don't know, but I don't believe Guinevere put it there."

"Until its spell is broken, I can't take anything you say as the truth," Uther concluded, turning to Gwen. "Her father consorted with sorcerers."

"My father was a good and innocent man, and you executed him," Gwen said, her tears blurring her vision.

"So you would seek your revenge by enchanting my son?"

"No!"

Gaius spoke, interrupting the confrontation. "My lord, whatever this poultice is, I don't believe that Gwen is responsible for magic."

"I don't care what you believe, Gaius. Arthur is under her spell. It's the only rational explanation for his behavior."

Eleanor stepped forward. "Father, this has gone out of hand. Love isn't as calculated as you make it out to be."

Uther turned to his daughter. "Eleanor, you have no say in this. Your brother being in love with a servant is unlike anything in this family's history."

"You'd be surprised," Eleanor retorted, drawing Uther to raise an eyebrow at her.

"What do you mean by that?"