𝐈

/ DEFYING THE ODDS /

𝐈. CAUGHT OFF GUARD

     As Eleanor Pendragon sat beside her window, she caught a glimpse of her brother approaching the castle doors. A long sigh emitted from her throat at her brother's overdue return home, for she had been troubled that something had gone awry at their hunt. With Arthur's current track record, he and Merlin almost always had encountered some form of danger. She, then, rose from her windowsill and trekked out of her room, confronting her brother near the entrance of the palace.

Taken aback by his sister's abrupt appearance, Arthur exhaled sharply, knowing well that Eleanor would not let him slide so easily. The sound of her slipper tapping against the stoned floor echoed the hall, leaving him in discomfort as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other. He searched for any opportunity, if one had existed in the slightest, to find a way out of an interrogation, but he was unable to find one to his liking. Giving into the unpleasant silence that lingered between the siblings, Arthur finally spoke.

"What are you doing up so late?"

"I should be asking the same to you," Eleanor retorted, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Father will be upset if he found out you were roaming the castle in just your nightgown," Arthur remarked, attempting to change the subject.

The young Pendragon rolled her eyes. Deflection was a common move for her brother— a move that vexed her. "Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Change the subject," Eleanor replied. "What is the reason for your late arrival?"

Arthur sighed, rubbing the back of his neck in defeat. He knew that she had the capability of holding him up all night if he refused to answer truthfully. As per usual, Arthur surrendered once again in hopes of a quicker release. "Merlin and I faced some difficulties after our hunt."

"As usual," Eleanor commented, smirking slightly.

It was her brother's turn to roll his eyes. "Go back to your chambers and get some rest."

"And the same to you."

With that, the two siblings departed, agreeing to get their share of sleep for the night.

     Eleanor's maidservant, Anne, woke the princess from her slumber as she separated the curtains, permitting the rays of sunlight to enter her once dark chambers. The princess groaned as her eyes adjusted to the sudden brightness. An aching discomfort amassed in her head as she sat up, inducing Eleanor to wince and pinch the bridge of her nose with her fingers as she struggled to ease her pain. Anne heard the noise that escaped from Eleanor's lips and pivoted to her suddenly, concern growing on her face.