𝐈𝐈𝐈

/ DEFYING THE ODDS /

III. BANISHED

     Eleanor wandered around the castle in search for something to do. Now that she had completed her responsibilities for the day, she was ultimately left to her own devices without any form of entertainment. Fortunately for her, leisure was presented to her in a form of two distinct voices conversing in the throne room. Curiosity getting the best of the stubborn princess, she followed the voices and saw a line of boots that lead to Gwaine and Merlin. She giggled at the sight, causing the two to look up.

     "Ah, you're a sight for sore eyes, m'lady," Gwaine smiled.

     "What did the two of you do now?" Eleanor interrogated as she made her way towards the two, her arms crossed over her chest and an amused smirk tugging the ends of her lips.

     Merlin pointed at Gwaine, exhaustion painted across his features. "This one decided to pile up a tab so high neither he or I could afford it, so I said Arthur would pay for it, and he found the bill."

     Eleanor tsk-ed at the two. "Should've known better than to get Arthur into the mix of this."

     "What was I supposed to do? The Inn Keeper would've strung the both of us up."

     "Now that would be a sight for my sore eyes," Eleanor stated.

     Gwaine lazily hit the brush against the boot, failing to see the severity of his drunken actions. "I think that the punishment doesn't fit the crime."

     "Oh, yeah? And what would?" Eleanor questioned, eager to hear his answer.

     Unfortunately, Gwaine lacked an explanation and shrugged. "I don't know, but not this."

     "Well, I'll leave you boys to it," Eleanor winked before walking away.

     Once she was out of sight, Gwaine sighed. "She's something, isn't she?"

     Merlin looked at Gwaine, following his gaze towards the door that Eleanor just went through. Connecting the dots, the manservant instantly laughed and slapped Gwaine's arm. Of course, he found the interaction between Gwaine and Eleanor to be an admissible form of entertainment, but the two pursuing a relationship was pure fantasy. He almost pitied Gwaine for having such high goals.

     "What's so funny?"

     "C'mon, Gwaine. That would never happen."