Hide and Seek is not just a game for five years olds dipshit

"You and Eddie seem close,"

The band and I waited in the middle of a field that surrounded Plainview Lake for Rodrick's band. We'd all agreed to meet up here and have lunch together.

Cliff and I found ourselves out of the Hill's house than in the house, especially on weekends. It felt like freedom not having your parents around but it was also awful since our Aunt and Uncle were too afraid to have anything happen to us. They kept tabs on us ever since that one night with Heather telling them the two of us were going out to eat, when we weren't, so they didn't leave us any food for dinner.

After what felt like ages, I heard the familiar sound of Bill's voice. We all got up to help them with the food since Rodrick's mom offered to make everything. I grabbed the towels from Rodrick and laid the rectangles out to make a giant makeshift picnic blanket.

Aiden started pulling food out of the cooler bags and Ben got the drinks.

There were a bunch of different kinds of sandwiches, all with different labels, and two six-packs of Coke. I told Rodrick to make sure Susan didn't buy Pepsi because I'd refuse to drink it.

We all grabbed our sandwiches and started eating as Cliff brought out his speaker and started playing Mudhoney, his favorite band.

We talked about any and everything. I made fun of how much an emo Rodrick was especially with the My Chemical Romance shirt and he made fun of me for looking like I want to be the next Courtney Love.

"Have you seen that video?" I blurt out at the mention of her name. "The one with Dave Grohl telling her that her hair looks better straight and then she freaks out?" Rodrick looks at me blankly. I take that as a no.

"You have to see this," Eddie says as he pulls out his phone and finds the video.

The short video starts playing as I anticipate the end. My favorite part is when she just screams at the top of her lungs and storms out. Rodrick starts laughing, making me smile.

"Eddie and I found it randomly one day," I mention after Eddie puts his phone back. "It's the best thing on this planet."Eddie nods his head in firm agreement.

I turn around and lean my back on Eddie. He throws his arm over my shoulder the same way Cliff does.

"We should play hide and seek," Ben blurts out of nowhere.

"Are you five?" Rodrick laughs at the idea, I let out a short laugh too.

"Whoever wins get's five bucks," That was all Ben needed to say to get Rodrick to agree. A smile spreads on Ben's face. "There are just enough of us so that we can play in pairs. One pair will go searching for the other three groups. If you get found just come back to this place and sit. You can go anywhere around the lake but no parking lots and nowhere too ridiculous." I could tell Ben had been planning this ever since we mentioned having lunch out here.

We all quickly agreed. "How are we doing groups?" Ben pulls out a bag of slips of paper. "God damn, Ben. How long have you been planning this?" I laugh.

"Tell me this doesn't sound fun," He challenges and I nod my head in agreement. "Four people will draw a piece of paper, I don't care who draws, but that will be your partner."

Stone stands up first and goes to the bag, closing his eyes as he digs through the slips. He pulls out a messily folded slip of lined paper and opens it up. "Cliff," He says excitedly as he opens his arms dramatically.

Ben digs through the bag and pulls out Stone's name so now neither Stone nor Cliff could be chosen. Next, Aiden volunteered to go up there. Aiden pulled out Jeff, which I was excited for since they're both bassists. I had a feeling that they would make good friends.

Then Rodrick stands up. Deep down, I wanted him to pull Ben so Eddie and I could be partners. If I couldn't be with Cliff, the second-best option was Eddie. But when he pulled out the paper, he first looked at Ben then at me. My heart sank. "Y/N," He said.

That means Ben and Eddie were partners. Rodrick came and sat next to me as the other partners had done.

"Alright, now which group wants to be the seeker first?" Ben asks. Cliff and Stone volunteer first. "Give us all five minutes to go find a hiding place." Cliff nods in understanding.

Rodrick and I stand up together. Cliff does a countdown to when we can start going.

"Five... four... three..." Rodrick whispers to me to follow his lead and I nod. I figure he knows this place better than I do since I've been here only a few weeks. "two... one."

Rodrick takes off, his long legs carrying him through the field and into the woods quickly. I catch up to him, running as fast as I can, cursing how tall he was.

He looks behind his shoulder to see if I'm still behind him, slowing down a bit for me. "I have a spot we can go," He says quietly as if we weren't far enough from Cliff and Stone. "It's just around here."

We walk around a group of trees and a little area opens up. There wasn't much grass because sunlight couldn't peak through the thick cover of trees above us. There was a little pond filled with algae-covered rocks and pebbles at the bottom.

"We can sit here and if we hear people coming, we just go over there," He points to the overhand of the hill. If we crouched underneath us, no one would be able to see us since we would be practically under the hill.

I nod and sit on one of the large rocks away from the pond. The soft breeze sends ripples through the lazy pond.

Rodrick sits against a tree, picks up a stick, and starts peeling off the first layer of bark. "So," He says, drawing out the word.

"So?" I repeat.

"How long have you been a part of your band?"

I bring my knees up to my chest. "I wouldn't consider myself a part of the band, honestly. I feel like Cliff only gives me credit because he feels like I'll feel left out if he doesn't."

He tilts his head to the side. "How long have the rest of them been a band?"

"Uhm, I don't know," I say, trying to think. "Eddie was our neighbor when we were kids before he moved and Cliff and Eddie played music together even as kids. They started thinking about a band in middle school which is when Stone and Jeff came along. So middle school officially."

He nods slowly. "You and Eddie seem close." He's almost got the entire branch stripped of bark. "Yeah, we are," I say quietly, watching as his fingers peel more of the brown layer off. Just before I was about to say something else, a twig snapped. We both quickly turned towards the snap to see if it was a person but we couldn't.

I press my body up higher to see if I can see over the hill enough to see what snapped it. "Just a squirrel," I say, relief flooding through my body. Even though it was a meaningless game, I was going to win this.

Even Rodrick looked a little relieved.

"Are you two..." He waves his hands aimlessly in the air. "You know," He makes faces to say what he wouldn't say verbally.

"Dating?" He nods, playing it off. "Fuck no. He's literally my second brother except. If only his last name were Poncier instead of Vedder."

Another twig cracks before he can respond. His eyes go wide, letting me know that it definitely wasn't a squirrel this time.

He points to the overhang and I begin making my way over there, careful not to step on leaves or twigs. I crouch down underneath it, the Earth above me grazing my scalp.

Rodrick lays down underneath it since there was no way he'd be able to sit like I was. Definite footsteps were heard from above us when I hear Cliff's voice.

"Where the hell could they be?" He asks.

"Don't know, man," Stone responds. "Of course, Y/N is the last one standing," He earns a laugh from Cliff.

They move right over us and a smile spreads across my lips. It quickly fades when a phone starts ringing. My heart pounds in my ears as I flash Rodrick a glare. He sheepishly pulls out his phone. It's his mom. He holds a finger up to his lips, although that won't do any good since Cliff and Stone most definitely have found us.

I stand up to see if I can get to the two of them and tell them to be quiet before they say something stupid.

Luckily, I do. Cliff nods when I gesture for him to be quiet.

Rodrick talks in whispers so I can't hear what he's saying. He hangs up and walks towards us. "I have to go," He says. I knew the familiar look on his face. He fucked up and he knew it. "I'm going to get murdered by my mom."